GPS Recommendations

Serbonze

TJ Neophyte
Supporting Member
I'm looking for a portable GPS unit, and I'm kind of overwhelmed with the options out there. My wife likes to be the navigator when we are out on the trail in the Jeep, or out exploring on vacations. I think this is what I'm looking for:

Portable
Large color screen
Don't want a GPS app on a phone

It doesn't need to be fancy, just track our progress along a designated trail.

Any suggestions?

While I can't comment on this from personal experience (I just use my phone), a buddy of mine with a Tacoma (who goes off-roading with me from time-to-time) has the Magellan eXplorist TRX7 Off-Road GPS and always tells me how much he loves it. It might be worth looking into if only because it's marketed as an "off-road" GPS unit.

Reactions: Serbonze
Hmmm. GPS.

I use and recommend something along the lines of a Garmin 62 (obsolete) or 64 (current). Add the 24K mapping chip from a reputable company like Hunt Maps for high resolution roads and trails. Get a map book like the Benchmark Road and Recreation Atlas. When you get interested in a specific area, spend the money on the USGS paper 1:24K maps for the area.

No matter how big the screen is on an electronic navigation device, it will never be big enough. Focus on accuracy and precision with the GPS. Navigate from the paper maps, atlas or sheet. Know for certain that anything you are navigating with is out of date and lying to you. Use your off road experience to "learn" how to read the local road network and how to navigate them.

Reactions: Chris
I love my Garmin Montana 610 series!!
Especially after loading the California Trail Maps.

It's a big hiking gps - which makes it excellent for Jeeps, as it's offroad capable. Turn it sideways and mount it on the windshield with the suction cup mount, and you're good to go!

I have a Garmin 60csx that I use on hikes, but it's not nearly ideal for driving.

I've been doing a lot of research on this over the last few days, and ended up downloading an app called Gaia which has topo and satellite maps. Since the maps are downloaded and offline, it can use the phone's GPS and doesn't rely on cell data. It's a stop gap measure at this point.

I already have laminated maps of all of our local trails. After talking with her about this some more, I've figured out that the tracking feature is what is important. Now, when we are out on the trail in the Jeep she tries to follow our path along on the map, but having a GPS track our route would make her happy.

Before our trips up to Georgia I always print out a map for the route to our hiking destination and a map of the hiking trail. Having a GPS to follow the route to the hiking trail would be great, as most of the time we have to travel several miles on forest roads just to get to the hiking trails. The last trip we hiked the Southern Terminus of the Appalachian Trail, and we were on a forest road for six miles. There were a ton of switch backs in that six miles, and it was really difficult to follow out progress on the paper map.

I found the downloadable topo maps from Garmin, but before spending the money on it I want to find someone that has the Southeast to verify that the fire roads we travel on are named on the maps

Admittedly I could use something like this as well.

Actually, I'm just looking for some sort of GPS solution (whether it be a completely standalone GPS unit or an iOS app) that will give me the most detailed maps possible for forest roads, trails, and other things like that that likely wouldn't be found on your typical Google or Apple maps program.

It's also imperative that if it's an app, it works without cell phone reception, since the places I go regularly have none.

Sounds like we are basically looking for the same solution. I was FaceTimeing my father in Maine so I could see the screen on his Garmin. It was detailed enough to show the fire roads
that cut through the logging company property where our cabin is located. That made me focus on the Garmin and the Topo map upgrade ($99). The problem is that there are like 50 different Garmin units. I don't need most of the fancy features, so it's a matter of taking some time and narrowing down the available units. It's a little overwhelming.

Oh I don't blame you, it's tremendously overwhelming.

And one of the issues I have is that I'm carrying around this $1000 computer in my pocket (my iPhone). I figure if I have this advanced technology, I'd like to use it for whatever I possibly can. In this case, if I could find an app that worked really well for these sorts of forest roads, trails, etc, I would buy it in a heart beat.

The last thing I need is another electronic device. Seems like I have enough already.

Check out the Gaia app, and buy the bundle with the offline topo maps. The bundle is only $20.

Gaia looks promising! One of the reasons I want an app like this is because I want to be able to drive out to on forest roads and find places to shoot (since it's legal here).

Ok, I'm going to inject my 2 cents in here on maps, mapping and off road navigation.

First, a little background on my bonafides. I had a company for awhile that specialized in high precision digital cartography. One step below survey grade stuff. One of the selling points for my product was that it was traceable back to the source cartographic surveys. i.e. I knew the documented history and intrinsic accuracy of everything that I sold. I could tell you why the map you purchased would never correspond to ground truth, and how to adequately compensate for that for whatever use you were putting my product to.

Second, the earth is a non-uniform oblate spheroid. In other words, it's kinda, sorta round. Maps are flat. All maps, even the ones that are displayed on a computer screen. You have to distort the ground truth to go from roundish earth to flat map. No way around that. It just is.

Third, the original surveys that produced all of the maps used in the United States that are useful for off road driving were produced by two guys on horseback with a pack mule loaded with optical mapping grade gear. I know this for sure, because I actually talked with one of the guys who did that twenty years back or so. That's where our base maps came from. Sure, they've been updated sporadically with information from aerial photography, millimeter band radar and several other technologies, but the originals that everything else is being fit to came from two guys on horseback. Wrap your head around that.

Fourth, the update cycle for any area we are likely to off road in is measured in multiple decades. You would be extremely lucky if the map you are operating from has been updated in your lifetime more than once. Not the case if you are a mall crawler, but if you are out in the countryside...it's the truth.

Fifth, everyone has a natural navigation "style" if you will. All humans are natural navigators, it's intrinsic to our being. Ever get up in the middle of the night to pee? Did you turn the light on, or did you navigate to the bathroom in the dark? Did you make it without bumping into anything? You were exercising your intrinsic navigational skills to get to the bathroom and back. You have a model of the real world you carry around in your head that allowed you to get there and back. Navigating off road is exactly the same, writ large. All that a map, digital or paper, allows you to do is build that model in your head. No mental model, no navigation. You're lost.

Sixth, even the best technology WILL fail you. Usually at the worst possible time. I won't even argue that point.

With all of that being said, here's what I would recommend to anyone heading off road in a Jeep. Or anyone else getting beyond the core civilization of their local suburbs. Bring your innate ability to build a model of the real world around you into your conscious mind. Practice using a map to build that model in your mind. Figure out if you use landmarks or road names to navigate. (my bet is that you use landmarks, eventually anyway) Use whatever technology trips your trigger, but don't rely on it. Use large, easy to locate landmarks as a framework to build your mental model. Mountains, rivers, valleys, cities. Use a map to place yourself in that framework.

There's more, but this is getting long enough as it is.

Good read @StG58.

I agree with everything you said, and that's cool that you know all that you do about maps. It makes perfect sense that these off-road maps wouldn't be updated in decades.

In my mind though (and maybe I'm wrong), when you have something like Google Maps with satellite view (so you can see the terrain), you may not be able to see small trails hidden in the woods (under the cover of trees), but it would pinpoint your location via GPS and you'd at least know where the nearest river, road or civilization is just by viewing the terrain.

Of course I'm not sure how that works with a phone. A phone relies on a combination of cellular service and GPS for the maps to function. If you are out in the middle of nowhere, I'm not sure that Google Maps is going to work accurately when you're somewhere where there is no cell phone reception.

I'm not trying to replace human instinct, I just feel like a nice GPS unit (or app) would be good to have when going off the grid. You know, just incase!

You may be misinterpreting the jist of what I was saying @Chris. A GPS is a wonderful tool to have along and use. The problem comes in when you start to rely on it beyond "where am I, right now." I have had a high quality GPS lie to me even then. You know those white oaks we have in Oregon? Ya, they'll kill a GPS signal. Degrade it to the point that a GPS will outright lie to you as to where you are. Same with getting into steep terrain. All sorts of interesting things happen when the GPS only sees two or three satellites.

The maps that you see on Google Earth, with the satellite photography, are a wonderful thing. But how recent are they? How tall are the trees that you see? What's underneath them? Most publicly available mapping in the US is based on USGS 1:100K Digital Line Graph maps. Most of those maps are based on / abstracted from hand drawn 1:24K maps and hand written field notes from the 1920's and 1930's. This is especially true of anything west of Utah.

What I am advocating is developing your existing navigational sense. Bring what you are doing anyway, naturally, into your conscious mind. It's pretty easy to develop that innate ability to the point where you can close your eyes and point to the nearest river, mountain or other landmark within a reasonable bit. It's like in the coast range. Rivers generally flow east or west. Creeks flow north or south. Most major canyons run generally east or west unless they are the smaller ones which run north and south. Water always flows down hill. Most mainline roads run up by the ridge lines. The major highways run in the river valleys, mostly. If you head up hill until you hit a mainline you can follow it until you hit a main spur heading down hill. That spur is going to connect to a highway. If you turn in the direction of the flow of water you're going to end up at the coast. If you turn in the other direction you are going to end up in Portland or Salem. At night, you can see the glow from the lights in Portland from bloody everywhere, if you look.

Even with a large sized, sophisticated laptop and advanced cartographic software, what you can see is pretty limited. Then the issue becomes the more area you look at, the less detail you can see. The more detail you can see, the smaller the area that you can look at is. When you carry that around in your head, build that map in your brain, you can see both with some practice. That's the key. You can see the details you're interested in, in relation to the general area you're traveling through. All the stuff that you're not interested in is suppressed by your brain and only the stuff you're interested in is in focus.

Does that make sense? It's pretty pointless to agonize over the perfect GPS, because it doesn't exist yet. You would have to be able to jack one into your brain to make it work the way it needs to.

Reactions: UpperMI
Oh I agree with what you're saying, and I understood it the first time. I was just trying to say that there's a crap ton of GPS units out there and it's hard to figure out which one is better than the other.

I guess in the end all of these GPS units must be using the same map software (or whatever you'd call it). It's not like there's tons of different software out there and each company is taking the time to make their own.

I would by no means completely rely on a GPS unit, I'm not that stupid. I'm only advocating that it's a nice tool to have in your arsenal when you go out somewhere. But it surely can't replace common sense, and like you said, "building a map in your head".

Hell, I could probably get by just fine with a good old fashioned paper map.

Reactions: StG58
Sorry about that then, @Chris. I was beating a dead horse then, or worse yet, showing off.

You are correct. All digital maps originate from the same source. That source is the USGS 1:100K DLGs.

That's what I thought.

So at that point it probably becomes less about the map (since they're all coming from the same place) and more about the hardware (i.e. how many satellites it can talk to at once, it's accuracy, etc.).

Reactions: UpperMI and StG58
That's what I thought.

So at that point it probably becomes less about the map (since they're all coming from the same place) and more about the hardware (i.e. how many satellites it can talk to at once, it's accuracy, etc.).

Yes. It's all about the number of satellites and which kinds of satellites a GPS unit can receive a signal from. The actual GPS chip (processor) is pretty generic now as well. What it boils down to is the type and quality of the antenna and any special features that you need / want.

If the package says GPS, GLONAS and WAAS, it's pretty much as accurate as it gets in the civilian world. It's nice if the unit has real time USB output, so you can play with the output on a mobile device. The output should be NEMA, so it's generic. It's convenient if the unit runs on AA cells, and supports the use of NiMH batteries. It's also convenient if the unit supports microSD chips for add on mapping.

Reactions: UpperMI