GPS Recommendations

I'm looking for a portable GPS unit, and I'm kind of overwhelmed with the options out there. My wife likes to be the navigator when we are out on the trail in the Jeep, or out exploring on vacations. I think this is what I'm looking for:

Portable
Large color screen
Don't want a GPS app on a phone

It doesn't need to be fancy, just track our progress along a designated trail.

Any suggestions?
Although, I have no experience using a GPS for trails, I can say from my experience hauling commercially, that the most user friendly brand I have used is Rand McNally. They come with lifetime free map updates and are available in 7 inch displays for commercial truck, RV or personal vehicles.

Friends of mine call me navigator because I can usually find my way out of any location/trail. Even with that said a GPS standalone one is a great tool in addition to knowing your way around and observing your surroundings. Smart Phones are great but many of them rely on cell tower to get an accurate location (Assisted GPS). One of my requirements when buying a standalone GPS unit is the track log feature (breadcrumbs). I will never buy one if it does not have that feature.

I currently own 2 Garmin GPS
Nuvi 760 —- This is an older unit that has served me well. Now it is a backup unit
NuviCam —- Aside from being a standalone GPS it has an awesome Dash Cam feature

Reactions: Chris