Grassland Christmas Eve

CybrSlydr

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Went out on the Grassland to take some pics and see what my new-to-me camera can do! (Sony A7R IVa and Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 Art lens)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cybrslydr/albums/72177720304703612/with/52584336538/
52584336538_c505d90de2_k.jpg

I tried to visualize the kind of shot I wanted and then an attempt to frame. I also did a lot of cropping in post, but mostly because there were multiple dust spots on the top third of the sensor I didn't see when taking the pics. Most pictures had more sky to them before I cropped.

I also used Affinity 2s auto features for WB, levels, contrast, and colors. I feel the auto-contrast was a bit too aggressive. But I am pleased with the IQ for most of them. I used a tripod for most, but hand-held a few.

I also REALLY need a longer lens. There were more images I could see but couldn't make happen with cropping or with the 24-70 lens. Also saw a possible bull elk from about 400m away but that's too tiny at 70. Lol

I think this is my favorite of all the pics I took.

52583801806_7fb8af63a4_k.jpg

I really like the scale - and the road only helps with that for me. Since I drive that road all the time, seeing it continuing off in the distance really drives it home. Even get an inversion layer or something on the horizon just left of center.

Last edited:
Couldn’t you use a clone tool to get rid of the dust spots? I like to see more negative space like sky especially when there are hills (not mountains) in the composition. But that’s just me. When creating images of vehicles I like to get down low, then get lower again. So it isn’t the same angle of view I would get if I were just standing in front of the vehicle looking down at it. And I agree.. a slightly longer focal length with a bit of compression often makes vehicles look good. Low and long. I’m not familiar with the Sony line..is that a crop sensor of full frame? 70-200 is the likely next step in lenses to compliment the 24-70. My primary kit is a 28-70/2.8, 70-200/2.8 and a 300/2.8. I have a few fast primes that are a blast to use.. 85/1.4 is my favorite. And 600/4 for birding which I love to shot most.

Reactions: CybrSlydr
Couldn’t you use a clone tool to get rid of the dust spots? I like to see more negative space like sky especially when there are hills (not mountains) in the composition. But that’s just me. When creating images of vehicles I like to get down low, then get lower again. So it isn’t the same angle of view I would get if I were just standing in front of the vehicle looking down at it. And I agree.. a slightly longer focal length with a bit of compression often makes vehicles look good. Low and long. I’m not familiar with the Sony line..is that a crop sensor of full frame? 70-200 is the likely next step in lenses to compliment the 24-70. My primary kit is a 28-70/2.8, 70-200/2.8 and a 300/2.8. I have a few fast primes that are a blast to use.. 85/1.4 is my favorite. And 600/4 for birding which I love to shot most.

I have no idea. lol I've never done any photomanipulation - hence why I just used the auto-everything for the RAW adjustments. lol

I like the sky as well - here's one that I didn't crop that still has the sky.

52584744863_0d60d6ebd9_k.jpg

(it's also un-edited)

I honestly think my next lens might be Sony's 200-600 since we have some nice wildlife out on the grassland. Problem is most of it is skittish (speed goats, Elk, etc), so even more reach is better.

The A7R IV is a full-frame. https://electronics.sony.com/imaging/interchangeable-lens-cameras/full-frame/p/ilce7rm4-b

Color me jelly you have all those fast zooms! Native glass in the 2.8 is stupid expensive for this camera. :(

Took years for me to work my way up to that kit. Plenty of lens paved the way to the fast Nikon glass. A 200-600 is a limited use lens and would beg for good support…. A gimbal head for instance. If you’re going to do a LOT of wildlife photography then it might make sense, but that 70-200 space is critical. I would close that gap first.

I’ve browsed the Affinity site a few times. It’s more of a pixel editor (like Photoshop) than a non-destructive image processor and it lacks the critical organization features I need. That said, there is surely a clone tool to take care of the dust spots. Far better than squelching your vision by being forced to crop to eliminate dust spots. Even better.. get the sensor cleaned.

I never like a horizon line across the middle of the image. I can “see” that image cropped with the horizon both high and low. Play around with virtual copies and see which one you like most.

I haven’t used an auto adjustment in a long long time. Not saying it is bad to do but if I am shooting Raw, which is all I do, I want full control of my edits. Does Affinity allow for presets? That could make edits easier when shooting Raw since most raw images require some basic adjustments to contrast, white and black points, tone curve, saturation etc just to get to a baseline from which you can work. Apply the preset to all images at ingestion so you’re in the same starting place with all your images.

That’s some beautiful country. It would take me hours to get someplace that wide open. Can’t lie.. I am jealous.

• Love
Reactions: CybrSlydr
I got Affinity 2 because it has a perpetual license, unlike that horseshit Adobe.

I believe it does allow for presets - I haven't really looked into how to do them yet.

Wyoming is pretty great looking - I can't argue with that. :D I took a new way back to Casper, came down 387 and 259 into Casper from the North. Some really pretty country out there as well. Wanted some pics, but it's a 70mph highway. lol

Reactions: MikekiM