Grille variations

hear

Can't type
Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a 97 with a pushed in grille. I have a lead on a 99 grille, but now I'm wondering to what extent they are interchangeable. I know the 97 had several flavors of hood releases, but do I need a specific grille or corresponding hardware to make it still work? Are there other differences?

I have a 97 with a pushed in grille. I have a lead on a 99 grille, but now I'm wondering to what extent they are interchangeable. I know the 97 had several flavors of hood releases, but do I need a specific grille or corresponding hardware to make it still work? Are there other differences?
There are only two grill options. Both were available on the 97. After 97, they are all the same. The difference is the latch or safety latch. Early 97 you reach in the grill and push it to the side, later you lift the hood and lift the release handle which moves the latch forward.

Which do you have?

I have a little lever where I reach between the grille slots and pull it forward to release the hood.

I have a little lever where I reach between the grille slots and pull it forward to release the hood.
That is the early one. Like the one below I just took pics of.
DSC_6170.JPG
DSC_6171.JPG
DSC_6172.JPG

I may have not described mine very well. The latch mechanism is actually on the hood, and I have to pull it slightly forward to release.

4B4946E5-3E0E-4939-97A5-8DFF9F718192.jpeg

317EB2A3-040C-42A2-BEE7-05FFB4A042B0.jpeg

I may have not described mine very well. The latch mechanism is actually on the hood, and I have to pull it slightly forward to release.

View attachment 298087

View attachment 298088
You did not explain it well because you haven't figured out what that little finger tab that I circled is for. You stick your fingers in the gap between hood and grill, mash that tab against the hood and it swings the lower end forward to clear the slot in the top of the grill. That is also the later 97-06 grill for which the 99 you have located will be a direct swap.

1640295543267.png