Grinding issues shifting into reverse

You don't say what model year TJ you have but most of the manual transmissions in our TJs do not have a synchronized Reverse gear. That means Reverse can and usually will grind if you don't use the proper shifting technique. Which was the very same shifting technique I required on my 1966 Volkswagon beetle.

So before shifting into Reverse, you 'synchronize' Reverse by first momentarily shifting into any forward gear like 1st gear, then moving the shift lever directly directly into Reverse. Done correctly, that should stop Reverse gear from grinding.

Random semi-related question: anyone else have an automatic transmission that shifts hard into reverse? Whether it's level ground, an incline, whatever, if I'm not pulling the shifter all the way through to D, its a hard clunk and anything but smooth to shift into R. Not really grinding but it sure doesn't feel right either.

It's worst in the AM or after it's been sitting for a while. If I go run and errand, get out and get back in the car, just as smooth as shifting to D. Conversely, if I leave it overnight, start up and go straight to drive, it's more or less smooth shifting.

Random semi-related question: anyone else have an automatic transmission that shifts hard into reverse? Whether it's level ground, an incline, whatever, if I'm not pulling the shifter all the way through to D, its a hard clunk and anything but smooth to shift into R. Not really grinding but it sure doesn't feel right either.

It's worst in the AM or after it's been sitting for a while. If I go run and errand, get out and get back in the car, just as smooth as shifting to D. Conversely, if I leave it overnight, start up and go straight to drive, it's more or less smooth shifting.
Did you ever get to the bottom of this? My LJ has an automatic trans and I've been having a very similar issue.

Did you ever get to the bottom of this? My LJ has an automatic trans and I've been having a very similar issue.

Nope, just a thing it does. I don't really have any other issues, no slipping or catching. It's just the physical act of moving the shifter into R when parked on an incline.

Time for a new transmission ;)

As it turned out, this was the correct answer lol.

Apparently a PO had used the Jeep as a submarine and water had made its way in to the case at some point. Frankly that's just trivia as far as I am concerned since the transmission was OE to the LJ with no apparent rebuilds, and it's right at 200k, so kinda time for it to be ready for attention anyway.

As it turned out, this was the correct answer lol.

Apparently a PO had used the Jeep as a submarine and water had made its way in to the case at some point. Frankly that's just trivia as far as I am concerned since the transmission was OE to the LJ with no apparent rebuilds, and it's right at 200k, so kinda time for it to be ready for attention anyway.

Yep, that’s why I always give these guys shit who like to submerge their TJs and do deep water crossings. That stuff ruins transmissions in short order, so while it might look cool it really makes me hope these guys are setting aside money for a new transmission when the time comes.