Gross & Large Leak (Should I Drop The Tank?)

Sputter

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Troubleshooting grips and large leaks on my 2003 2.4 L Wrangler. Checked all the hoses and replaced the solenoid in the engine compartment. Replaced the vapor leak detection pump filter and gas cap. Found no cracked of split hoses with my smoke or soap and water tests. Driving it home I kept smelling fuel fumes. I’m of the opinion that the problem may be where it is connected to the the gas tank so I was thinking of dropping the tank. Any thoughts on this approach? Any thing else I should do while I have this thing out?

Troubleshooting grips and large leaks on my 2003 2.4 L Wrangler. Checked all the hoses and replaced the solenoid in the engine compartment. Replaced the vapor leak detection pump filter and gas cap. Found no cracked of split hoses with my smoke or soap and water tests. Driving it home I kept smelling fuel fumes. I’m of the opinion that the problem may be where it is connected to the the gas tank so I was thinking of dropping the tank. Any thoughts on this approach? Any thing else I should do while I have this thing out?
Once the fuel tank is close to empty (as JB stated above) you can use a piece of plywood and a floor jack to lower the tank after you have the fuel filler loosened and the tank retaining bolts removed.

I had a similar issue. Vapor leak code and fuel would drip out of the top when filling the tank all the way. The local jeep dealership had a replacement fuel pump assembly gasket that was around 30 dollars. It was easy to replace with a standard floor jack. The hardest part was unhooking the electrical clip. Mine had junk in it. Cleaned it out and the clip moved easily after.

Reactions: Sputter
a motorcycle or transmission jack can make this job easier if have or can borrow 1.

the fuel gauge is gonna say empty but there's gonna be up to 4gl left in there. the slosh can dump it off the jack easily, compounded by the hanging up of hoses or fittings on the body and frame as you lower it out and have to maneuver this stuff a bit.

be careful and it's not a bad idea to have extra hands to get it up and down if you don't have a real stable platform.

Reactions: Sputter
Saw this when I went to drop the tank. Could it be this easy with just a missing hose clamp?

3B6067D1-36B5-4445-9BD4-FB340CCFF505.jpeg

Found a couple other issues after I dropped the tank. Fixed the gasket. Need to find a new connector. The flapper seemed like it was still in decent working order so I decided not to mess with it.

5C328776-D799-491E-B177-07AAC8F04ED0.jpeg

E1012C13-7C27-4C29-86DF-214FAE23497D.jpeg

A1B760E2-8931-4F02-B84E-9BF74377032A.jpeg

0C72C2D4-4C09-4776-900C-845C8EA6E069.jpeg

D602F509-51E7-4993-A2AB-0C47F53E9934.jpeg

604711B0-553C-43F7-9565-E4DBC8A8B308.jpeg

Fuel pump gasket will do it every time. That plastic clip is available in a Dorman set at most auto part stores. Just pull out the plastic bits and bring them in and they'll find the clip. I'll see if I can find the part number.

Reactions: Brianj5600