Ground from rear engine block to firewall?

Leahatrill

TJ Enthusiast
Does anyone know exactly where the ground is on the drivers side near the rear of the engine to the firewall ?

Any pictures would be awesome I feel this ground needs to really be cleaned up because there’s so much oil I noticed. Could be the cause to my 02codes.

It’s the silver braided strap in front of the cowl drain.

3B66F48D-E342-45F4-A48C-0EDD41814A53.jpeg

No it's the to the right of it in the picture.
There's a chunck of black plastic at the back of the engine bay in the picture which is the cowl drain. The braided grounding strap is between that and the barcode.

No it's the to the right of it in the picture.
There's a chunck of black plastic at the back of the engine bay in the picture which is the cowl drain. The braided grounding strap is between that and the barcode.
And then it travel downwards attaching smewheee between the transmission and engine?

There is one bolted to the back of the engine. There is also one bolted to the underside of the hood. Both end up at the ground point on the firewall on the driver side. The one that is bolted to the back of the engine is typically oily since if you have ever had a valve cover gasket leak it typically leaks there.

The ground straps are a braided metal colored flat ribbon cable.

s-l1000-3.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Leahatrill
Beautiful.
Could this ground affect continuity through the circuits leading from the 02 sensors to the pcm?
Looking at the wiring schematic, I doubt it. Having said that you should still check it.

I’m trying to figure out these grounds z42/18 bklg.... I cant find a manual to figure out where these points are located

Beautiful.
Could this ground affect continuity through the circuits leading from the 02 sensors to the pcm?

I have no idea. But there’s a ground from the firewall and a ground from the engine block that lead back to the negative battery post.
And together they make a connection from the engine through the negative post to the body. I would check these as well. I did a big 3 (google it) upgrade, but instead of replacing the factory grounds, I added redundant grounds with heavier gauge cables.
definitely check these and make sure they are in good condition.
733976DF-6E1D-4CE8-AAEE-D7E76B2ADEBE.jpeg

I highlighted these two grounds in the picture above.

Reactions: Leahatrill
It’s probably the freaking pcm and it’s the 02sensors circuits corrupt ....unreal. Have to replace a whole computer for this problem

What codes are you getting? I recently had do.e O2 codes that wouldn't go away. I tested both ends from the sensors to the PCM. Ended up being an electrical gremlin in the harness.

I have no idea. But there’s a ground from the firewall and a ground from the engine block that lead back to the negative battery post.
And together they make a connection from the engine through the negative post to the body. I would check these as well. I did a big 3 (google it) upgrade, but instead of replacing the factory grounds, I added redundant grounds with heavier gauge cables.
definitely check these and make sure they are in good condition. View attachment 142458
What is this I’m looking at the AC compressor and oil filter — those are the negative battery cables?

definitely check these and make sure they are in good condition. View attachment 142458

wow. That’s a horrible picture. Editing pics on a phone isn’t the best way to do it. Here’s a second attempt
E582B541-9509-4B76-934F-ECAC07400A99.jpeg