Ground to tailgate

DCDoes

So I have this ground from my tub to my tailgate on my 05 LJR. Is this something the PO may have done? He had an antenna on a bracket on the tailgate. I don’t use the bracket, so I am wondering if I need the ground. As you can see the ground has torn apart over time

1EA8EE25-13B4-475F-824A-13A2DF16F167.jpeg

someone did have it. I bet they even didn't need it. You certainly don't.
They did not need it or at least we have yet to find a need for it. We hook up 2 function tire mounted lights that are license plate illumination and 3rd brake light. Requires 3 wires, one for each function and a ground. We use the contact pins for the power for each and ground them at the mounting screw for the contact holder on the inside of the tail gate. Hasn't not worked yet.

Reactions: JEEPCJTJ
That was probably a RF ground strap for the antenna mount that is no longer there in an effort to improve the ground plane and bring down the SWR in a CB installation.

You won't need the ground strap for anything if there is no antenna bracket on the tailgate.
Exactly. Braided ground straps are most commonly seen on Jeeps that have a CB or ham radio antenna. RF (radio frequency) signals require a ground wire that has a big surface area since RF travels on the surface of conductors, not through the center of the conductor. Braided ground straps provide that larger surface area required by an RF ground. They can indeed provide a lower SWR if the antenna mount is not receiving an adequate RF ground via its connection to the tub, tailgate, etc.

Reactions: Tob and DrDmoney