Guidance for a new guy

Derecu146

I’m new to Wranglers and my first time in a forum, too. But here goes...

I bought a 2002 TJ Sport with a lift already done. Always wanted a Jeep and love it, but...It rides fine, up to about 50 mph when it starts vibrating. I do not know what was done in the lift, but it appears to have about a 4” lift based on comparison to other’s photos, and 33” BF Goodrich A/T. On examination and reading many comments I would guess the lift was not a very good quality. The lower control arms appear to have been changed, but are not adjustable. Neither are the track bars. The transfer case has been dropped, but transfer case and drive shaft appear standard (not a Rubicon).

I live in Costa Rica, and roads are frequently quite bad, so want to make my TJ suitable as my daily drive, as well as being capable to handle the punishment of frequent bad roads, as well as trips into the unknown.
I love the height and look right now, but want a good ride no vibration, capability to explore and reliability.

a) I have considered ripping out the lift and replacing it with OME 2.5” plus a 1” body lift. I would be hoping with this I could avoid putting SYE and double cardan driveshaft.

b) But am also tempted by the Currie 4” kit, plus I assume the SYE/driveshaft change.

c) Or should I leave what I have and change to adjustable control arms and SYE?

I also have to fix the syncro on second gear and the speedo is about 25% too low (at about 40mph, it reads 30ish).

Any guidance or comments would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks

I think it all depends on how much money you want to spend.

If it was mine, I would put a Currie or Savvy 4" lift in there complete with adjustable control arms all around. I'd pair that with some Rancho RS5000X shocks, some 33 inch C rated tires (with 26 psi in them), and you'd have the best ride you can get out of a TJ. You'd also need the SYE and DC driveshaft as well.

You could do it a lot cheaper with the OME 2" springs and the Rancho RS5000X shocks, you just wouldn't have as much clearance and couldn't run as big of tires (though you could if you added a 1" body lift). Of course then you'll likely have to drop your already low hanging transfer case unless you're planning on doing a SYE and DC driveshaft. But if you're doing that, why not just go to 4" at that point?

As Im doing the syncro rings in the transmission I think it makes sense to replace the clutch. Do you consider the Centerforce upgraded clutch worth the investment ? Thanks

A speed sensitive vibration is nearly always nothing more than either an imperfectly balanced tire or a bad tire. That is regardless of even if the tires had been recently balanced. Not all tire balance jobs are done well enough to get the tires balanced well enough to not have speed sensitive problems.

Last edited:
Reactions: Derecu146
As Im doing the syncro rings in the transmission I think it makes sense to replace the clutch. Do you consider the Centerforce upgraded clutch worth the investment ? Thanks

If you do the clutch, I'd only use the LuK 05-065 clutch kit. It's the oem clutch and it's considered the best. Some people opt to substitute the plastic throwout bearing the kit comes with for a metal one from National (National 614093 I think).

That said, the stock clutch lasts a very long time with these TJs, so you're probably fine with the original unless it's slipping or you have very high mileage.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford

No, that is not an upgrade. Follow @bromel's advice and go with the Luk replacement clutch.

If you do the clutch, I'd only use the LuK 05-065 clutch kit. It's the oem clutch and it's considered the best. Some people opt to substitute the plastic throwout bearing the kit comes with for a metal one from National (National 614093 I think).

That said, the stock clutch lasts a very long time with these TJs, so you're probably fine with the original unless it's slipping or you have very high mileage.
Excellent. Thanks. Thats what I wanted to hear.

Reactions: bromel