Guidance needed on what order I should do mods in

naponthebeach

Planning on doing a few mods in the upcoming months. I will be using the Jeep as a driver and offroad somewhat regularly. I don't know how to describe the difficulty of the trails it will be going on other than to say that they can be done by ATVs and Side x Sides. There are rocky sections (not huge rocks, but big enough to need caution) and there are some muddy sections with some water holes and river crossings that are deep enough to have water pour into the cab of a Honda Poineer (2-3 feet deep, occasionally more depending on rains).
I plan to avoid the obstacles to the greatest extent possible as I will be using these trails to get from point A to point B, not seeking out obstacles to overcome.

The Jeep is currently unmodified other than slightly larger tires (31 or 32 inch). It needs new shocks, but I don't want to order them until I know if I will be doing a suspension lift or not. The previous owner gave me a set of Rancho springs with it that are 2.5" in the back and 3.5" in the front. According to the Rancho rep that I spoke to they were part of a short arm kit that they offered in the past. I think I would like at some point to lift the Jeep in a similar way to the way Codaman detailed in his build thread. I don't have any plans to swap tires currently, but would consider my options when it is time to replace the current ones. I would not go larger than 33".

It clearly needs some space between the tires and the fenders to allow for some articulation.

I am thinking I will start with a 1.25" body lift (to allow articulation) and extend the breather tubes (for fording water) and a winch.

I would like to do a suspension lift after that, but may decide to wait a while if the body lift is sufficient for where I will be going. Would the springs that I have require a lot of supporting mods or would it be better to get a set of smaller springs (probably 2.5") and a different type of leveling kit? I am trying to find a balance between capability (fun) and budget.

Also, I am assuming that I should hold off on ordering shocks (Rancho RS5000X series) until I have decided about the lift as I don't want to buy them twice.

Please share your thoughts.

Edited to add winch.

Last edited:
Start with the body lift and get out and use the jeep a bit. If you want to run 33" tires in the future you are going to want at least 2 more inches of suspension lift with 3" being more ideal.

To run the lift springs you have now you'll need new shocks and likely need to address bump stops and possibly a transfer case drop to eliminate driveline vibrations.

I think a motor mount lift would be good when you add the body lift but I'm not sure if it's recommended without a suspension lift. (It will help with clearance at the fan shroud though.)

Some 2" springs and RS5000X shocks (0-2" lift option) would set you up nicely without adding too many supporting modifications. Add a MML if you are doing the BL to help in drive line angles. Some jeeps will get vibes even with a 2" lift. Mine did.

Reactions: Goatman
Start with the body lift and get out and use the jeep a bit.

That is my plan. I'm just trying to think through possible future modifications in my head. I'm halfway thinking to order the 0-2" shocks knowing that I will have to purchase smaller springs if I later do a suspension lift because I could go ahead and put them in (the ride is pretty rough right now) and they would still be good for a 2" suspension lift.

That is my plan. I'm just trying to think through possible future modifications in my head. I'm halfway thinking to order the 0-2" shocks knowing that I will have to purchase smaller springs if I later do a suspension lift because I could go ahead and put them in (the ride is pretty rough right now) and they would still be good for a 2" suspension lift.
If you already set the plan of not larger than 33 I’d plan on 33’s. That number will stay in your head.

I’m in the add the body lift and then go wheel it first camp. See what specifically you think needs improved first and then set out a strategy for your final target changing things that will help you get to where you want easiest and most cost effective.

I pretty much copied CodaMans lift , all I can say is I like it. I do however have slight vibration so plans are to add a MML and BL next. I went lift 1st because I had a 4” lift that made the Jeep ride rough, it was brutal to say the least. That I and I have new 32” tires the po just installed before selling the Jeep to me. I will be going to 33’s when the 32” tires wear out.

I'm going to come off as the boring guy here. Unless the tires hit the body I'd leave it as is and forget the body lift for now (if the tires touch the plastic flares that's fine, they'll move out of the way). Adding in a body lift likely will mess up the 4wd shifter preventing it from going into low range which will require more work which is dumb if there's no benefit.

I'm going to come off as the boring guy here. Unless the tires hit the body I'd leave it as is and forget the body lift for now (if the tires touch the plastic flares that's fine, they'll move out of the way). Adding in a body lift likely will mess up the 4wd shifter preventing it from going into low range which will require more work which is dumb if there's no benefit.
That is something to think about. It is going into the shop to have safe t caps installed at the end of the month. I will have to drive it off road some to really decide what to do first. You just reminded me that it doesn't go into 4L as easily as I would like and tends to pop out if I don't hold the shifter down, so I need to look into that as well.

Thanks.

That is something to think about. It is going into the shop to have safe t caps installed at the end of the month. I will have to drive it off road some to really decide what to do first. You just reminded me that it doesn't go into 4L as easily as I would like and tends to pop out if I don't hold the shifter down, so I need to look into that as well.

Thanks.
May want to consider a cable shifter if you can confirm it’s just the shifter that’s the issue.

I took a look at the tires last night and they are 285/70r17, so essentially 33”. There is 3.5” between the top of the rear tire and the outside edge of the rear fender. There is only 3” of space in the front.