H&R vs OME springs

Mr. Pink

TJ Enthusiast
Ok I am not looking to lift my TJ very much however I am leaning more toward the 1"-1.25" H&R 52107 springs than I am the OME 2" 2932/2942 combo, only because I have used H&R springs on every VW that I have ever owned matched with Bilstein absorber they have rode very very well. I know that there is the benefit of more lift with the OME however I am planning my rig around a 31x10.5x15 as I wont need much more than that since most of what I do is two-tracks style trails. is there any other pro's/con's that I am missing?

Go for the H&R springs for 31's.

As for shocks, don't go with the Bilstein's. The valving is not amenable to our TJ's.

Go for some 0-2" Rancho 5000X shocks. You'll be much happier. And your wallet will thank you.

Go for the H&R springs for 31's.

As for shocks, don't go with the Bilstein's. The valving is not amenable to our TJ's.

Go for some 0-2" Rancho 5000X shocks. You'll be much happier. And your wallet will thank you.

is there a chart of recommended lengths for the rancho's?

is there a chart of recommended lengths for the rancho's?
IDK, but they do run a little long. Anything up to 2.5" of lift I would run the 0-2"

This is common knowledge around here, but I have not checked the source.

If you can find the numbers for the 0-2 I bet you can find them on the Rancho website. I was on there about 2 years ago looking into the 2.5" shocks.

Reactions: Mr. Pink
Less lift = less chance of driveline vibes, and fewer things you'll have to change as a result. So, I say stick with H&R springs. The Ranchos do ride nice.

Honestly, I was going to post a similar topic to this. I've been trying to figure what direction to take my jeep. It is a DD/Weekend warrior. I want it to be capable but still reasonable to drive as a DD and on long road trips.

Been thinking about 1" h&r with a 1.25" body lift.

Anyone have a similar set up? How's it perform on/offroad?

Just put on the H&R springs and Rancho shocks a few weeks ago. I got about 1" lift in the back and about 1.25" in the front. I really like the ride with this combo. I used the Rancho RS55128 and RS55240 shocks (0-2" lift). Haven't done much offroading yet but this combo works well for the tires I'm running (31x10.5x15 with OEM 15x8 Canyon rims). I'll try and find my before and after pics for comparison. No body lift.

Reactions: H_Nunez
Just put on the H&R springs and Rancho shocks a few weeks ago. I got about 1" lift in the back and about 1.25" in the front. I really like the ride with this combo. I used the Rancho RS55128 and RS55240 shocks (0-2" lift). Haven't done much offroading yet but this combo works well for the tires I'm running (31x10.5x15 with OEM 15x8 Canyon rims). I'll try and find my before and after pics for comparison. No body lift.
Please do that is the exact setup that I am also going to go with I do believe

Ahhh... here they are. The first is before the H&R springs. The hard top drops the rear a little over the soft top.
Jeep Before Lift.jpg
Jeep After Lift.jpg

I have the TJ H&R springs on my LJ - they don't make the LJ version any more. I had to do a 3/4" spacer in the back to get rid of the sag. I paired them with Bilstein 5100s and it rides great.

Also installed a 1.25 BL and running 32s.

LG0X22rl.jpg

Reactions: Darsmith
It's just the amount of lift I was looking for. Enough to clear the fenders with the 31s but not so much that I need to start thinking about driveline vibration issues or SYE ($$$). Drives and handles nice with the springs and new Rancho shocks even at 70.

Why do so many people recommend the 5100s paired with the h&r springs over the ranchos I see usually recommended in general? Is there something to the combination?

Reactions: Zorba
Why do so many people recommend the 5100s paired with the h&r springs over the ranchos I see usually recommended in general? Is there something to the combination?
I'm wondering the same thing - I like Bilsteins in general and am wondering what's driving the Rancho preference here.

Very jealous - great looking jeep all around

any chance you can share part numbers for your build so I can replicate the lift here?
Thanks, appreciate it.

Here is what I used for the suspension:
  • H&R Springs #52107 (I got them from Tirerack.com)
  • Rancho 5000x Shocks (RS55128 Front, RS55240 Rear)
  • Rancho RS5407 Steering Stabilizer