Half of instrument cluster isn't working after taking apart dash

JeepmanMcGruber

So I took apart my dash, painted it, and put it all back together. Looks cherry.
Only problem I have now is that my Speedo, oil pressure, and temp doesn't register.
Tach, Fuel, and Amps all work. Backlight comes on. All startup lights work as well.
Just these three frigging gauges don't do crap.
Looks like there's good contact at the pins in the back.
Dash.jpg

Well first off all I have to say your username is awesome. I want to change my legal name to that haha!

So I don't have any specific knowledge of what might be wrong, but assuming it worked before you took it apart. I would carefully take it back apart and retrace your steps. I have had mine apart a couple of times to replace bulbs, but I cannot remember what it looks like back there on the top of my head, but if I recall correctly there are two plugs one on each side that are affixed to the vehicle, but get plugged in when you put your dash in. So I would guess that maybe one of those is not actually affixed or maybe you bent a pin? There may be only one my short term memory leaves much to be desired.

I think you should carefully take it back apart and re-inspect. If you pull it apart, and just get stuck maybe take some pictures and post them and see if we can figure it out?

Oh and you don't need to screw it in to see if it works, so if you are trying different things, you can push it on, and take it off without screwing it all of the way in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Squatch and Kiwi TJ
I have taken my dash off a few times now and am very careful not to damage the 'pins' on the back when putting it back together....check the cables aren't pinched in any way too.

Reactions: ac_
I think you should carefully take it back apart and re-inspect. If you pull it apart, and just get stuck maybe take some pictures and post them and see if we can figure it out?

X2. The fact that it worked before you took apart your dash, but not after you put it back together, that clearly tells me that you most likely forgot to plug something back in, or something isn't plugged in snug enough.

Reactions: ac_
I haven’t had my gauge cluster apart but I have pretty extensive experience with pins hard mounted to fiberglass boards. Over time the mass of the plugs flexes the pins and cracks the solder land enough to allow it to oxidize. It’s possible that this has happened to that half of your gauge cluster and you aggravated the condition when you unplugged the connectors. The best repair is to heat each pin from the solder joint and add some fresh solder but just heating the pins also works to re-establish the connection. If you don’t find any fault with the plugs this may be your cure.

Reactions: KCsTJ and Daryl