Halo lights are permanently on after installing new head unit

Sean Ferguson

Supporting Member
Just installed a new head unit, Insane Audi Jk 2001. Yes I know this is custom designed for JK but a friend of mine gave it to me. Came out pretty well I’ll post photos if you guys want to see it. For some reason my halo lights are now permanently on. Have the inspire halo headlights on my Jeep. I redid the wiring harness and put in a brand new stock harness which wire it up pretty much color to color . You have any ideas why this would make my halo light stay on basically my parking lights , tail lights are on as well .

So you put in a radio head unit and now basically all your driving lights stay on? Like, even with engine off and key out?

Was thinking it could be a ground issue. I shared a ground off the bracket that taken out from putting in the double din stereo but I just switched to a different grounding point and it made no difference

image.jpg

So you put in a radio head unit and now basically all your driving lights stay on? Like, even with engine off and key out?
That is correct.
I don't think it's a ground problem. If the lights are on all the time it's a B+ problem. When you tapped into the battery voltage line for the radio, you must have crossed that over to the lighting circuit. I would trace the lighting circuit and look for any extraneous connections or splices that don't belong. Not a dig a you, as we have all been there, but it's likely one of the connections that you made. Of course, I wouldn't assume the new harness is good either. Depending where you got it, it could be the problem. I think that's a lower probability though. Good luck.

I know there is a wire in the factory radio harness that controls the radio lights when the running lights are switched on.

Have you downloaded the FSM yet? Take a look at the schematics and cross ref the radios pin out. You may be back feeding that.

Not a SME here, but it's where I would start.

Well I can't offer any help with the wiring I just got the DD2001 for Christmas so would like to see your install.

I know there is a wire in the factory radio harness that controls the radio lights when the running lights are switched on.

Have you downloaded the FSM yet? Take a look at the schematics and cross ref the radios pin out. You may be back feeding that.

Not a SME here, but it's where I would start.
Thanks for the help David you hit the nail on the head. Pulled the FSM and the orange wire in the wiring harness is controlled by the parking lights. The orange wire in the head unit is for a bluetooth module. Basically all I did was cut the orange wire from the main harness and boom it was fixed.

Reactions: DEValken