Hand Throttles

StG58

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
Looking at installing a hand throttle on my SE. I've seen several setups that appeal to me, especially the bicycle gear changer thingy on the gear shift.

What's your thoughts, whatcha got, how is it working out, etc. Pictures and part numbers appreciated. Opinions welcome!

Thanks!

I use this one....hand throttle

It works like it should. I had to add some washers and an extra screw to make it work. Also, order another return spring from rock auto. It took me a little work to get it dialed in, but overall I'm satisfied.

I don't have any pics of it installed, but its on my shifter around my fingertips. I also heard of people buying gear shifters from a bicycle shop. I believe these would have a smoother function than the one from ET, its a little hard to move, but may be because I didn't put it in correctly.

Reactions: StG58
A guy I've wheeled with has one. He said it was night and day when crawling, but for trails, it's not that useful.

When he's crawling, he can use his two feet on the clutch and brake, instead of trying to heel/toe the throttle and brake.

Reactions: MikeE024 and StG58
I’ve been contemplating one for awhile (for rock crawling), the Teraflex version. It can get pretty jolty at times. I waited bc I wanted to hone my driving skills and use of the e-brake in off-road scenarios. Now I’m better and not feeling like I need one. Everyone tells me there’s a learning curve. Those who take the time benefit from them and the others dont. Only other benefit I see is it can double as a cruise control

Automatic here. I use mine to get RPMs up for things like winching or OBA. I've played with it for cruise control (on a closed course, obviously...) and not being able to instinctively brake but first being required to let off the hand throttle is too much of a risk for me.

I wrote a nice tutorial over here if anybody is interested in buying the pieces needed for cheaper than the kit: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/how-install-hand-throttle-3978601/

It seems that this forum blocks all links to other related forums. Replace the asterisks with "jeepforum".

Why are Wrangler Forum and Jeep Forum blocked?

That sums it up. The children who run WF and JF decided to block all links to this forum for some unknown reason (literally, I have no idea why they did it). Because they did that, I did the same to them in return. Those are the only forums I've censored links for.

Reactions: Starrs
Back to the subject of hand throttles (sort of):

DIY Cruise Control Servo Idle Control - I followed the link to the Canadian website for the original write up and found references to the cruise control servo increasing rpms to extremely high levels when the engine was not under load. A quick google search took me to a number threads on other forums observing the same issues. Does anyone here have any first hand information/experience regarding this mod and its pros/cons? It may not work as well as one would expect.

Commercially Available Electronic Idle Control - My google search took me to http://offroadengineering.com/product-offroad-jeep.html and its EHT-250 electronic throttle control for '05-'06 Wranglers. Does anybody know anything about these? Cost? Reliability? Effectiveness?

EHT250pic2.jpg

Reactions: StG58 and Chris
I copied the JK style hand throttle to keep all the cables in the cab, it's worked great for a few years now. I use it allot for slow speed cruise control on long easy trails and for winching. The lever is just a cheap chinese bike shifter.

hand_throttle_outside.JPG

The cable end is a drilled out bolt I made but I think you can buy them too. The hole in the column support on my 2004 was already there in a perfect spot, I just had to drill one little hole in the pedal. It's aligned pretty well, the wide angle skews the picture. I hope it makes sense.

hand_throttle_inside.jpg

A lever-type hand throttle (which is spring-loaded when properly installed and adjusted) is unbelievably useful for both sticks and automatics on extremely bumpy trails, I've had one on both. I'd never go for a dash mounted model or an electronic gizmo that forces you to push/pull toggle switches while you're bouncing around on bumpy/rough terrain which is the main intent and usefulness of a handle throttle.

These are pics of my previous hand throttle setups. The levers are pointed to the side where my fingertips are naturally positioned while rock crawling with an automatic vs. manual transmission.

CIMG2482.JPG

Shiftknob.jpg

Last edited:
61JGPajet8L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

20230819_175008.jpg

20230819_175403.jpg
I'm actually in the process of installing one now.
Saw Extreme Terrain selling one for $47 that looked like they stole it off a kids bike.
So I found these on Amazon. Shimano 6 speed shifter and Corki cable.
First problem was the diameter of the jeep shift lever vs the clamp size.
The Shimano gave 22 mm as the I.D. of the clamp. So I dig around in my tool box and found an old garage sale deep socket. I tapped the socket to a 10 x 1.5 thread to match the jeep shift lever.
I removed the shift knob and jam nut.
Installed the socket and Shimano shifter.
Then installed the shift knob, using the socket as a jam nut.
I checked the length of throw for the shifter. It's less than an inch. Roughly 7/8"-15/16".
I checked the throttle and 1" takes the idle up past 2,000 so that should be enough.
What I need to do now is thread the cable down through the shift boot, along side the transmission and back up to the throttle lever with the least amount of sharp turns.

Here's where I am so far...

Shimano Shifter
$13.99
THALOUS Bike Shifter SL-TX30-6R/7R 6/7 Speed Right Thumb Gear Shift Lever for MTB Mountain Bicycle

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0BGSX1NRB?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Corki Universal Bicycle Shifter Cable Housing Set for Shimano Sram Derailleu
$11.49

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07JLWSF82?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

20230819_175014.jpg

20230819_175403.jpg

20230819_175411.jpg