Handheld CB Recommendation

JP98

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Thinking of getting a handheld to go along with my in cab CB. I sometimes hit the trail with someone who doesn't have a CB and having a backup with me would be useful. I wouldn't want to spend too much with it being a spare or backup. So, any recommendations.

The Uniden Pro520XL is pretty widely regarded as being one of the best (if not THE best) CB radio out there for our needs.

I'm not just saying that because I own one either. There's tons of people running them including @Jerry Bransford, who can attest to how well they perform.

I've had mine going on 2 years now and absolutely love it. It's a nice compact size as well, so it doesn't take up much room.

Reactions: JP98
DOH... You said handheld... Grrr! I obviously missed that part.

For handheld I strongly recommend the Uniden PRO401HH.

My buddy has one and loves it. While I don't have one, I've used his a few times, and don't have any complaints about it. If you read the reviews on the Amazon link above, you'll see that it's almost 5 stars out of 1400+ reviews.

Not to mention it's obviously highly regarded enough to get the "Amazon's Choice" label.

Screen Shot 2017-01-23 at 10.13.56 AM.png

The Uniden Pro520XL is pretty widely regarded as being one of the best (if not THE best) CB radio out there for our needs.

I'm not just saying that because I own one either. There's tons of people running them including @Jerry Bransford, who can attest to how well they perform.

I've had mine going on 2 years now and absolutely love it. It's a nice compact size as well, so it doesn't take up much room.
Running an old Cobra right now. The Uniden Pro520XL will be in it's place as soon as I can justify ditching the cobra and spending money on something that is currently working.

Thanks for the quick feedback. Do you know what kind of range your buddy is getting from his?

Line of sight comes into factor, but he just texted me back and said he can get sometimes over 15 miles of range in the valley when he uses it with his Firestik antenna.

With the stubby antenna he said he'll get about 1/2 mile to 3/4 of a mile depending on a variety of factors.

Reactions: StG58
Line of sight comes into factor, but he just texted me back and said he can get sometimes over 15 miles of range in the valley when he uses it with his Firestik antenna.

With the stubby antenna he said he'll get about 1/2 mile to 3/4 of a mile depending on a variety of factors.

As a spare for friends on the trail the 1/2 mile to 3/4 should be good. Connecting it to my Firestik as my backup and getting normal range sounds good.

Reactions: Chris and StG58
As a spare for friends on the trail the 1/2 mile to 3/4 should be good. Connecting it to my Firestik as my backup and getting normal range sounds good.

Yeah, if you put your Firestik on there I've heard of people getting up to 20 miles in the valley or mountains.

I use the Midland 75-822. I get about a half mile with the stubby antenna, but I also have a separate setup with a 3' Firestick if I need it.

I also have a Midland 75-822. I use it mostly in-cab with the 12v adapter and antenna cable adapter. It works well with a 3' firestick, and when you want to jump out and take it with you just connect the battery and short antenna and off you go.

Ok. Ordered the Midland 75-785. Can't get much more bottom of the line. It's just as a back up to my in cab CB and to let buddies use on the trail if they are unequipped. Going to give it a try this weekend on the trail with a friend that doesn't have a CB in his rig.

Reactions: Chris
Took the Midland 75-785 out on the trail the other day. Let my buddy use it in his rig so I could help guide him through some river crossings. The range was limited but perfect for riding in a group. It came through loud and clear to my rig and others in the group. It was a perfect fit for a back up or loaner on the trail at a low cost.

Reactions: Serbonze and Chris
Glad it worked out okay, that's great news! I may need to buy a handheld CB at some point.

DOH... You said handheld... Grrr! I obviously missed that part.

For handheld I strongly recommend the Uniden PRO401HH.

My buddy has one and loves it. While I don't have one, I've used his a few times, and don't have any complaints about it. If you read the reviews on the Amazon link above, you'll see that it's almost 5 stars out of 1400+ reviews.

Not to mention it's obviously highly regarded enough to get the "Amazon's Choice" label.

View attachment 9817
I use the Midland version of that handheld (75-785), and it works very well.
It's a great piece of kit to keep in touch with the rest of the convoy ;)

The range is limited a bit, but if I really need to get in touch with anyone outside that range and there's no cell service, I have my DeLorme InReach satcomm always handy.

I use the Midland version of that handheld (75-785), and it works very well.
It's a great piece of kit to keep in touch with the rest of the convoy ;)

The range is limited a bit, but if I really need to get in touch with anyone outside that range and there's no cell service, I have my DeLorme InReach satcomm always handy.
I think it will make a great backup to my rig mount CB, one for using outside of rig when guiding over obstacles and loaning to a buddy to keep them in touch with group.

Reactions: Serbonze and MikeM