Handheld GPS experience

Modoc Guy

Jack of all trades, master of none
Supporting Member
I searched for an up to date thread on handheld GPS units, but didn’t find anything so I’m starting a new one.

I’d like to buy a handheld GPS to navigate trails and fire roads. I’m not interested in a unit that does hiking trails.
I know many units need to have maps downloaded into them, and I want to focus on ones that are more suited for driving.

Not interested in phone apps because they loose service in the mountains versus GPS units that use satellites.

I’ve seen that prices are in the 300 to 400 dollar range and that’s fine.

I’m just trying to weed out ones that have functions not related to driving. I guess you could say I’m looking for an “electronic” paper map.

Is anyone using a handheld GPS that fits my description?

I’m an old school paper maps kinda guy, but in the Jeep I want to move into the 21st century. 😉

Whatcha got?

Reactions: 5632
Not interested in phone apps because they loose service in the mountains versus GPS units that use satellites.

Just to address this, some apps do allow you to download maps for offline use and phones can use accurate GPS (meaning together you are often good to go). Phones generally prefer triangulation due to the battery savings but most can use proper GPS when service doesn’t exist, I’ve used mine in incredibly remote parts of CO and UT - just for an anecdote.

I pay for Gaia gps and trailsoffroad.com annually - because I can download the GPX (navigation) file from the latter with wifi/service and use it in the former without service (assuming I downloaded the map area first).

I’d argue this isn’t a case where a handheld/dedicated device wins out over other tools.

Just bought a Garmin InReach. Only used once on a hike but, maps and text worked the entire time. Had access to Garmin app and Gaia. I bought it because a guy I was with on an offroad trip was using it to map out our route while off-roading in Big Bear. I had no service and he was tracking and sending waypoints to others that were meeting up with us.

Mapping nerd here. Like @rasband said, cell phones do have a GPS chip (they can use cellular signal triangulation if you set it that way), so don't remove those from consideration. Think about getting a good mount for whatever you end up with.

I also use Gaia as my app, but there are other apps like it where you can download the map information ahead of time for the area you'll be wheeling in. I use a tablet with a Garmin GLO 2 GPS bluetooth receiver because: 1) map nerd 2) I have poor vision and so I like the larger screen. If you already have a phone, turn on the GPS function and try a couple of apps to see what you like.

Reactions: rasband
If you want the best experience, buy a dedicated GPS. Cheaper in the long run, and won't break nearly as easily as any smartphone. Garmin is "the name", but there are certainly others. Garmins take a comparative long time to get their first fix as compared to some of their competition (a nit), but are dead nuts reliable and rugged.

Reactions: Modoc Guy
I use a Garmin inReach Explorer+ plus a Garmin Drive 51 navigation unit. The inReach can serve as a handheld gps unit, but it is a bit awkward. Its better as a personal locator/satellite texter. The Drive 51 can use many different maps, including maps on Open Street Source.

Or there is this unit, the Garmin Overlander:

cf-lg-00ff932a-918e-4875-bfff-dfb1536c2425.jpg

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/685257

Reactions: Modoc Guy
Inreach mini for safety and I run Gaia on my phone (the big iPhone). Gaia was extremely useful on my last trip out west. Saved us from getting lost when running hole in the rock. We missed seeing a sign.

Thanks all!

Garmin was on my short list.
I don’t know which Garmin to get yet. Don’t need lots of frills, so we’ll see.

I’ll take a look at the Gaia service, see what that gives me.

And thanks for the phone info, but I’ve never put an app on my phone, and never will. It has too much crap on it now. It’s a 5s with a small amount of ram. I wanted a 4 when I bought it but couldn’t get one from AT&T at the time. I hate those huge ass phones.

Gaia only runs on phones/tablets. I have had many Garmins and they make a quality product.

Just to address this, some apps do allow you to download maps for offline use and phones can use accurate GPS (meaning together you are often good to go). Phones generally prefer triangulation due to the battery savings but most can use proper GPS when service doesn’t exist, I’ve used mine in incredibly remote parts of CO and UT - just for an anecdote.

I pay for Gaia gps and trailsoffroad.com annually - because I can download the GPX (navigation) file from the latter with wifi/service and use it in the former without service (assuming I downloaded the map area first).

I’d argue this isn’t a case where a handheld/dedicated device wins out over other tools.

Using the combination of Gaia and AllTrails (to get the GPX maps themselves) I don't think I'd never need anything beyond my phone. This combination works fantastic.

@Chris OP is not interested in phone apps no matter how much we've tried to convince him :p

That Garmin Overlander looks like it would work out nicely for him since it has decent, update-able vector basemaps and 64GB of free storage for other stuff (imagery, etc).

Reactions: Chris
That make considerably more sense as "devices" go. Larger and cheaper. But as the forum's #1 smartphone hater, I don't blame you for wanting to use a real GPS.
I don’t blame anyone either but they must understand the GPS is a very limited one trick pony in comparison.

@Chris OP is not interested in phone apps no matter how much we've tried to convince him :p

That Garmin Overlander looks like it would work out nicely for him since it has decent, update-able vector basemaps and 64GB of free storage for other stuff (imagery, etc).
I know, I just couldn’t resist. This combo has worked very well for me.

I don’t blame anyone either but they must understand the GPS is a very limited one trick pony in comparison.
I prefer devices dedicated to one purpose in lieu of a "jack of all trades, master of none" - but that's me. Some of the Garmins are priced right up there in smartphone territory - but don't require the monthly expense so there's that. With all this said, a phone/tablet GPS is probably one of the few things those devices actually can do well - the crippled UI/OS wouldn't/shouldn't be any detriment.

Reactions: Apparition
The ability to have a "handheld" and a dedicated driving unit are not as available as early units. vehicle dedicated units tend to be mounted or more permanent than hiking or sport units today.

I have been a Garmin user since the 45XL, they have let me down the last few firmware updates. Basecamp and the units themselves no longer "like" off road navigation. I have since moved to Gaia and love it. The topos, the ease of cloud syncing, trail making prior to trip and details like that are really useful.

More often (or maybe I just noticed being a newish user) photos are tagged to trails, now I can "see" or compare the location. Gaia will get better as more folks use it, it is kinda designed that way

I like the idea that I can have a large screen. My last Garmin had a 6.?" screen, about like a large double din, the iPad mini I am using is about 8-9", too big to run on the dash!! After a few trips, it ended up here"

IMG_6329.jpg

IMG_6328.jpg

I like it better here. The reason is I am enjoying/looking/seeing more trail and not using the GPS like a "dash gauge". If it is in my view, I am noticing it, like a tach or gas gauge. Now I look up if I feel like I have missed a turn or see one coming up, etc..

Reactions: Apparition