Handy people / home improvements

S.McArthur

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Warning: Not Jeep related

Alright folks, over the past couple of weeks I've been replacing the floor in my house. One project always leads to 14 others; as usual. As we speak, I've replaced an entry door w/frame, had to rework all of my dryer duct work, and fix some stupid little things here an there just to get my floor laid properly.

Where I'm stuck: I've gotten mixed answers on this, my stove/range, whatever you want to call it, is in the center of the kitchen in an island. It has a vent that is routed to the crawl space...and that's it. It just dumps the vented air into my insulation/crawl space under the house. I don't like anything that contains moisture to be dumped into the crawlspace for obvious reasons, but I'm not an expert or claim to be close to one. Also, the hole in the sub floor is a 6.5" diameter where the actual vent is 5", huge gap that was filled in with duct tape.

Issue Two: The idiots who designed this island placed a light above the stove, as you can imagine, it collects every piece of steam/grease, etc. on the bulbs/decorative parts. Range vent may not be sufficient in it's job duties.

So;
A) Replace stove with a newer fancier one that vents to the ceiling (the other one is kind of outdated)
-This option requires me to buy and install a range hood and find a ventilation tube to tie into via the ceiling/roof.

B) Fix the subfloor, vent through the crawlspace but find a way to vent it out of the house (like a dryer vent).

C) Whatever you fine people come up with.

D) Put it back the way it was and fill the gap, hide it for the next owners. (Wife wants to move)

You're correct to not vent it into the crawlspace. As a side note, if you don't already, the modern way to handle crawlspaces is to seal them from outside and place a dehumidifier in your crawlspace to handle moisture.

If your room doesn't lend itself to having a pipe in the middle of it, have you looked into stoves with a strong back vent? Iirc Viking made a few.

Any time you don't have to place a vent through the roof it's better imho. It opens it up for leaks. Go through a wall if you can.

It's difficult to fix something when you don't want to hang onto it...

Reactions: MaloStapalo
seal them from outside
That is on the list, the "door" into the crawlspace is a cheap piece of metal that I have found on the ground a few times.

back vent
I have not, I have to replace the counter tops anyway. Suppose I can plan for that option, but those things are just as expensive as a typical island range hood.

through the roof
If I remember correctly, there is an already a vent close to where the range vent would be. I may be able to get a "Y" style pipe and piggy back off of it rather than cut another hole in the roof; which I will fail at. I will have to get back into the attic and see what options I have.
Worst case, I run it to a wall under the crawlspace, I really don't like this option as the crap still gets on the light fixture/ceiling.

I am waiting on the codes department to call me back give me an idea of what is "right" before I dump a bunch of money "fixing" this.

Maybe this will work:
Venthood4.jpg

Your crawl space vent set up is already there, I'd go with it but run it outside like it should have been in the first place. There's fans that are equivalent to a booster that go inline with the ducting. You could wire that to a switch on the island.
I would not go with running the duct down then over to a wall and up again. Just get that moisture out of the house the quickest route possible.
Just my 2.5 ¢

If you were to live there long term I'd also suggest that you install some form of make up air. By controlling where make up air is from you can better control condensation and it will allow you to seal up your outside walls. Maybe not as big of a deal where you're at, but it can make a big difference in comfort and heating bills up here.

Your crawl space vent set up is already there, I'd go with it but run it outside like it should have been in the first place. There's fans that are equivalent to a booster that go inline with the ducting. You could wire that to a switch on the island.
I would not go with running the duct down then over to a wall and up again. Just get that moisture out of the house the quickest route possible.
Just my 2.5 ¢
I second this. No need to reinVENT the wheel (see what I did there?) and your wife would like to move.
Could also relay the booster off the original control so it's passive

Well, codes guy is the epitome of what Ron Swanson (Parks & Rec) describes as a useless government worker. He said it needs to be vented to the outside with 26ga metal piping but it sounded like he was reading code off Google.
I have a 3' crawlspace that is above ground and I can get to an outside wall without going up/down/left/right; basically down from the sub-floor straight to the wall about 8ft. I think this would be the cheapest, easiest way to be within "code"; odd thing, when I bought the house, the home inspection made no comment about this.

make up air
Honestly, I had no clue about this, I don't think the fan on my range is that powerful, but definitely something I'd like to look into. I do tend to open a window or deck door when cooking though.
I am looking into installing a whole home dehumidifier system; should be the greatest thing for a south east home. It gets stupid humid/hot in the summer.

Honestly, I had no clue about this, I don't think the fan on my range is that powerful, but definitely something I'd like to look into. I do tend to open a window or deck door when cooking though.
I am looking into installing a whole home dehumidifier system; should be the greatest thing for a south east home. It gets stupid humid/hot in the summer.

I did a TON of research on make up air and dehumidification this summer when I built my workshop. So far I am very glad I did.

I even have noticed that a bathroom vent benefits from make up air.

I hate island units. If your not staying fix what you got. If staying consider X'ing the island and putting stove against a wall, then short vent outside.
Really opens up the space.

I did the bare minimum and ran a half-ass vent to the existing crawlspace vents they built with the house. Basically, it's a pipe to the "outside".
I need a new dishwasher, I went about 3 rounds with my old one. The dumb ass builder used a solid cooper water line to connect the dishwasher. It is not flexible, therefore, you could not remove the dishwasher without removing the counter tops. I say neigh to that, a lot of cussing and violence of action, viola, dishwasher has been removed; along with the copper line attached; two birds one boulder.
Floors are 94% completed.

Onto the bathroom:
Stayed up until midnight last night, damn if they didn't do the same half assery in the bathroom, no planning for future renovations. All the water lines to the toilet/sink are drilled through the floor/sub floor without any shutoff valves other than the main water line at the street.
Easy peasy, I'll just shut off the main line to the house, cut off at the shutoff for the toilet and install a new shiny valve. Nope, rather than run the line with through the nice easy 1/2" sub-floor, they ran it through the damn support joist under the house. WTF, there is no wiggle room in the; I have to go under the house, cut it off and completely replace it. A trip to Lowes for some new CPVC stuff, and 15 min of work, I'm done. Hooray, everything going fine now.

Nope, the fun hasn't even started...to be continued

Reading some of your issues is making me pretty thankful that while the previous owners of my “new” house have done sloppy jobs in a number of places, but never so careless.

I can relate that the Jeep fund is mostly on hold with house projects now :(