Hard-Copy TJ Literature

SSTJ

———
Lifetime Supporting Member
Of course we have this Forum, but sometimes I prefer having something I can read without a screen. I thought it might be a helpful resource to have a list of the best hard-copy info you can find on the TJ.

What am I missing? Let's make this comprehensive.

———

TJ Manuals:

• Jeep's Factory Service Manual and related volumes.

• Clymers, Chilton, Haynes, etc.
    • Many on this forum would say they are too generic, and cover too many years, to be as helpful as the FSM.
    • Still, a good starting point for rookies, and easier to find in hard copy than the FSM.

TJ Modification Guides:
  • Jeep Owner's Bible.
    • Written by a very knowledgeable guy, but seems to focus on CJs, YJs, and TJs equally. So, not necessarily the best place to learn about TJs.

TJ Engine Overviews:

TJ Body Work:

Last edited:
Reactions: freedom_in_4low
I bought a full set of factory manuals in ebay for my 05 for not too much. Much more easy to read than the online one and I like having the books as a backup. The wiring diagrams manual was very handy when I was messing with the locker switch.

Thanks both. I've updated the post. Also eager to hear about any other books folks know about.

There are several other sources available in book form such as Clymers, Chilton, Haynes of which ALL are too generic and cover way too many year without addressing specifics between the years.

Reactions: SSTJ
There are several other sources available in book form such as Clymers, Chilton, Haynes of which ALL are too generic and cover way too many year without addressing specifics between the years.
Thanks, I updated the original post to mention those.

@Jerry Bransford , what would each member of the Forum need to pledge on Kickstarter for you to write a book that we could self-publish through an easy source like Amazon? I'm only sort of half joking ...

... actually, if you did, then @Chris could offer it as a give-away to all life-time supporting members, etc.

The more I think about this, the more serious I am. If you didn't want the task of writing it all yourself, you could be the 'editor', selecting individuals from the forum to write various chapters, and then editing them however you see fit.

Just throwing it out there ...

Reactions: FishinSam
@Jerry Bransford , what would each member of the Forum need to pledge on Kickstarter for you to write a book that we could self-publish through an easy source like Amazon? I'm only sort of half joking ...

... actually, if you did, then @Chris could offer it as a give-away to all life-time supporting members, etc.

The more I think about this, the more serious I am. If you didn't want the task of writing it all yourself, you could be the 'editor', selecting individuals from the forum to write various chapters, and then editing them however you see fit.

Just throwing it out there ...

Maybe @mrblaine could write the foreword? 😉

Can I be a ghost writer? I'll pay.
Just remember I don't know squat.

.....On the first day Jerry created the trails. On the second day he added rocks.on the third day he added water. Then he saw the trail was good and needed to be driven over. He considered all displacement sizes and figured somewhere around 250 cubic inches in an inline configuration oughta be good......

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Haha
Reactions: SSTJ and Fixer6
I have the 4.0L engine building book, but I've found the best resources for any of the Jeeps I've owned to be the factory service manual and the forums.

Of course we have this Forum, but sometimes I prefer having something I can read without a screen. I thought it might be a helpful resource to have a list of the best hard-copy info you can find on the TJ.

What am I missing? Let's make this comprehensive.

———

TJ Manuals:

• Jeep's Factory Service Manualand related volumes.

• Clymers, Chilton, Haynes, etc.
    • Many on this forum would say they are too generic, and cover too many years, to be as helpful as the FSM.
    • Still, a good starting point for rookies, and easier to find in hard copy than the FSM.

TJ Modification Guides:
  • Jeep Owner's Bible.
    • Written by a very knowledgeable guy, but seems to focus on CJs, YJs, and TJs equally. So, not necessarily the best place to learn about TJs.

TJ Engine Overviews:

TJ Body Work:

Hi SSTJ,

I've recently bought my first Jeep Wrangler ever about 7 months ago. I LOVE IT. It's beautiful, and I've been wanting one since I was a kid but somehow life got in the way and it never happened. I (my wife, more specifically) found a 2001, 4.0 sport TJ for sale only 20 miles from town and it was, and is, in GREAT shape. It has 240k miles, a clean Carfax and zero rust. The previous 2 owners took really good care of it and I intend on keeping it, literally, for the rest of my life. With all that being said, I soon realized that I need to know how to work on this vehicle personally as much as possible in order to make the longevity a real possibility. Even if I could spend the money on having a professional take care of it, I know nobody will baby it the way it needs to be taken care of like the owner will. Of course I will need to call on a mechanic from time to time, I have almost zero experience or knowledge of working on vehicles. Tire changes, battery changes, alternators, serpentine belts, and brake pads and rotors is the extent of my experience. However, I am not daunted and am really excited to learn how to work on this Jeep. I've replaced the belt, brakes (rear drums were quite a lesson), tires and front soft brake lines on this Jeep and I want to continue to replace parts that should have been done so already. When I got it, everything was problably the original part(s), including the rotors and brake pads (yikes!). When I changed the brakes, the front driver's side was the ONLY brake with any pad left at all. I don't understand how the guy was driving the thing like that, it felt very unsafe and after I got the Jeep home I changed them before leaving the driveway again. I had no idea they could be that bad, it was grinding metal straight onto the rotors. Anyway... as far as I could tell the only items that weren't original were the aftermarket rims and tires, and an applied bed liner-type paint to the exterior, which I love, and Bed Bug interior liners. The interior needs the most love as it is all worn, dry rotted, and looking pretty rough. I will be replacing seats, consoles, dash, visors, etc... piece by piece. The reason I'm telling you all these details is that one of the most challenging things for me so far has been to find reliable information, like part numbers, maintenance and service instructions, etc... all in one place. This forum has been a god send, but I'm old school and have been looking for something tangible for a while. I've read a few reviews about the Hayne's manuals and the consensus is that they aren't worth buying except for instructions for a few tasks, so I haven't purchased one of those. Today, I stumbled upon this post that you made a few years back and you literally have compiled THE list I've been trying to find and I simply wanted to thank you. The internet is used for plenty of negative reasons and I grow tired of it quickly, but forums like this and members like you give me hope in humanity. I know that's a little extreme and cheesy, but it's true. The fact that you are willing to share your knowledge to complete strangers for free, for the sole purpose of making their journey better and easier, is noble, regardless of the topic. So, I am off to print all of these resources and draw up my short, meduim and long term maintenance and upgrade schedule for my Wrangler and thanks to you, it will be a much less frustrating task. Happy trails.

Sincerely,

Arcturus 1981

Hi SSTJ,

I've recently bought my first Jeep Wrangler ever about 7 months ago. I LOVE IT. It's beautiful, and I've been wanting one since I was a kid but somehow life got in the way and it never happened. I (my wife, more specifically) found a 2001, 4.0 sport TJ for sale only 20 miles from town and it was, and is, in GREAT shape. It has 240k miles, a clean Carfax and zero rust. The previous 2 owners took really good care of it and I intend on keeping it, literally, for the rest of my life. With all that being said, I soon realized that I need to know how to work on this vehicle personally as much as possible in order to make the longevity a real possibility. Even if I could spend the money on having a professional take care of it, I know nobody will baby it the way it needs to be taken care of like the owner will. Of course I will need to call on a mechanic from time to time, I have almost zero experience or knowledge of working on vehicles. Tire changes, battery changes, alternators, serpentine belts, and brake pads and rotors is the extent of my experience. However, I am not daunted and am really excited to learn how to work on this Jeep. I've replaced the belt, brakes (rear drums were quite a lesson), tires and front soft brake lines on this Jeep and I want to continue to replace parts that should have been done so already. When I got it, everything was problably the original part(s), including the rotors and brake pads (yikes!). When I changed the brakes, the front driver's side was the ONLY brake with any pad left at all. I don't understand how the guy was driving the thing like that, it felt very unsafe and after I got the Jeep home I changed them before leaving the driveway again. I had no idea they could be that bad, it was grinding metal straight onto the rotors. Anyway... as far as I could tell the only items that weren't original were the aftermarket rims and tires, and an applied bed liner-type paint to the exterior, which I love, and Bed Bug interior liners. The interior needs the most love as it is all worn, dry rotted, and looking pretty rough. I will be replacing seats, consoles, dash, visors, etc... piece by piece. The reason I'm telling you all these details is that one of the most challenging things for me so far has been to find reliable information, like part numbers, maintenance and service instructions, etc... all in one place. This forum has been a god send, but I'm old school and have been looking for something tangible for a while. I've read a few reviews about the Hayne's manuals and the consensus is that they aren't worth buying except for instructions for a few tasks, so I haven't purchased one of those. Today, I stumbled upon this post that you made a few years back and you literally have compiled THE list I've been trying to find and I simply wanted to thank you. The internet is used for plenty of negative reasons and I grow tired of it quickly, but forums like this and members like you give me hope in humanity. I know that's a little extreme and cheesy, but it's true. The fact that you are willing to share your knowledge to complete strangers for free, for the sole purpose of making their journey better and easier, is noble, regardless of the topic. So, I am off to print all of these resources and draw up my short, meduim and long term maintenance and upgrade schedule for my Wrangler and thanks to you, it will be a much less frustrating task. Happy trails.

Sincerely,

Arcturus 1981

Very glad to hear that this is helpful. And maybe bumping this old post will it will bring some attention from others and we can add to the list.

From how you describe your goals, I think you'll like this thread, which of course is linked above. Post some pics sometime!