Hard start after driving

SCTexasTJ

Good evening All. My 97 4.0 has an issue I can't seem to find a solution to. When it is cold it starts right up, no muss no fuss. After driving it and stopping for a little while it will not start right away. It will crank for 6-10 seconds before lighting off. If I just bump the key to turn the engine over, even like half a second, stop and then crank again it will start right up. I have tried turning the key to on and waiting several seconds before trying to start, same result. Not throwing a code and runs great otherwise. Had a non-Mopar crank sensor in it which I wanted to replace anyway, so did that but no change.

Anyone have any ideas?

Reactions: DaddyZSmith
Idk first hand on this type of issue but maybe there is a crank position sensor or similar on TJs that can get out of whack. Maybe provide more info on when your starting goes back to normal to see if it helps others make suggestions.

Thanks for the replies. I don't know for sure if my year has the heat soak issue, but i did put heat insulation on the #3 injector and also the full length of the fuel rail. The problem seems to go away after it sits overnight.

I wonder if leaving the hood up when the engine is warm would tell you if it is heat soak.

My 2003 4.0 has been experiencing similar issues; were you able to find a solution to this? I also noticed a lot of vacuum when opening the gas cap when going to fill her up; did yours do this?