Hard Start and Idle Issue

Emberglo

I've been having an issue for a little while with my TJ (2002 Sport with 4.0 and Automatic). It's been having trouble starting for a while. It will usually fire up on the 2nd or 3rd try.

Later on I started getting a stall issue when at or close to idle. When I'm reversing at slow speed it tries to stall. It also stalls when approaching a stop (under about 10mph) or sitting at a stop. But only when in gear and before the engine warms up. Once the engine is warm, there is no issue. And if I hold the brake and give it a little gas at idle (up to about 1k rpm) it will try to stall but can't.

The fuel pump assembly was suggested as a culprit, but I thought I'd get some other opinions before blindly replacing it.

I really appreciate any advice that you all can offer!

The starting on the 2nd or 3rd try does indeed sound fuel pump related (notably the drain back valve, which is part of the fuel pump assembly). However, the other issue sounds like it may be related to your IAC.

Follow this guide and try cleaning it (along with your throttle body): How to clean your IAC (Idle Air Controller) valve

Start there and let us know how it goes.

Hi Chris. Thank you for the help!

Cleaned the IAC last night according to directions. It eliminated the hard start issue. Now, the engine only dies after coming to a stop when cold.

Also, the transmission is shifting a little rough. I have an appointment to have it flushed and filter changed. I'm not sure if it is relevant though.

Also, through all the issues it has never shown or logged any codes.

Last edited: