Hard top without removing Bestop drill bikini header?

pc500

Has anyone been successful in mounting a hard top without removing a drill in bikini header?

I notched it as shown below. It still won't clasp closed.

Does someone make a latch that is molded a little wider in the middle? If it had a "bulge" it would work fine.

Any other ideas short of just sawing the header into pieces with a gap in the middle? That's next.

1629840627212.png

I always removed my header when I still had the hard top.

I hate to say it but a screw gun with a #2 phillips bit would have been quicker and easier. Heck, even without the screw gun, just using a phillips screw driver would have given a better outcome.

FWIW, your notch isn't lined up with the lower Bestop notch and the slot in the frame. It also looks like the latch, (or maybe the whole top?) isn't lined up quite right either.

The latch wasn't really lined up either, but even when the top is slide just a nudge sideways, it does fit between my notches. The best solution would be a new latch hard top side that's "gapped" a little bit but that's wishful thinking.

I've considered removing and reinstalling it each time but I don't know how many times I want to do that per year on self-tappers. There have been enough reports here that for some people the hard top fits with it on, that I want to ask.

I hate to say it but a screw gun with a #2 phillips bit would have been quicker and easier. Heck, even without the screw gun, just using a phillips screw driver would have given a better outcome.

FWIW, your notch isn't lined up with the lower Bestop notch and the slot in the frame. It also looks like the latch, (or maybe the whole top?) isn't lined up quite right either.