Hardtop bottom edge hatch seal - how to replace?

Russ Mullen

I purchased a new hatch seal for the bottom edge of the glass hatch, but I'm nervous about replacing it. Does anyone have any tips on how to

replacement liftgate trim & seal

a) safely remove the old seal/bar (fishing line?)
b) permanently attach the new one? - I was thinking double sided/rv type sealer tape, but it's a c-channel so I'm not sure how I would get that to work.

any help would be appreciated!

I did one with tape, but only because the glue I originally picked out did not set up properly.
I cut a thin strip for the bottom of the channel with both sides exposed. Another strip on the outside of the glass, but left the outer backing paper on. Pushed it into the channel and then pulled out the backing strip.
As for as getting the old one off, I hacked at it for quite awhile with a thin flexible putty knife. Not sure if it was tape or sealant.

Any 3m product typically works well...if you decide to use silicone be sure to use RTV silicone because it can withstand continuous exposure to moisture... Basically it can live it's life underwater.

A lot of us have added a seal to the tailgate in order to make the connection better... There is one we get off of Amazon some guys can link you to.

I used a heat gun to remove mine. Patience and a firm pull down got it off easily enough. 3m black 100% silicone exterior caulk (submersible) the second time... first time was Dap, ended up releasing after a rain.

I used a heat gun to remove mine. Patience and a firm pull down got it off easily enough. 3m black 100% silicone exterior caulk (submersible) the second time... first time was Dap, ended up releasing after a rain.
That's a good one I would be a little careful in an extremely cold environment that you might shatter the glass...I don't know if he gun is capable of doing that but I've seen hot water do it.

That's a good one I would be a little careful in an extremely cold environment that you might shatter the glass...I don't know if he gun is capable of doing that but I've seen hot water do it.
Yeah, I let the sun beat on it for an hour before I attempted it, and made sure to keep the gun moving. It's a Harry Homeowner version, but still gets to over 1,250 deg on high. I kept it on low (750 deg) and was still puckered up while doing it.

Reactions: AndyG
Yeah, I let the sun beat on it for an hour before I attempted it, and made sure to keep the gun moving. It's a Harry Homeowner version, but still gets to over 1,250 deg on high. I kept it on low (750 deg) and was still puckered up while doing it.
Cool ...you know what's going on.