Hardtop front hinges are loose

Elyse8743

TJ Enthusiast
So I've done some searching but can't seem to find much on this issue.

I just put my hard top back on for the winter yesterday, and the hinges that hold the front of the top to the windshield are loose. Every time I hit the smallest bump, they both rattle and it's super easy for them to pop out. This never happened with the soft top being up, so I don't think it would be the front gasket?

Is there a way to tighten these down, or are there any replacement hinges out there? When searching, I just find the hinges for the rear glass, which were replaced already by the PO last year.

Hinge is not the correct term. I would call these latches. They are connected to the hardtop by 2 Torx bolts-at least on my '98. You should check that these are tight, and check that the hardtop area around each latch is not damaged in any way.

Reactions: Elyse8743
Two torx bolts holding it down.
79AD9BAA-786E-4CDC-934D-A02980D1311B.jpeg

Reactions: Elyse8743
Also check the weather strip across the top of the front window frame. If this is worn out, it will cause the latches to be loose.

I wonder, if you loosen the bolts, if there would be any play to allow you to lift the latches up then retighten them? That would make the latches tighter against the window frame.

Hinge is not the correct term. I would call these latches. They are connected to the hardtop by 2 Torx bolts-at least on my '98. You should check that these are tight, and check that the hardtop area around each latch is not damaged in any way.
lol - that makes sense as to why i couldn't find anything. Latches brings up a bunch more options! i'll def take a look at those torx bolts after work.
Also check the weather strip across the top of the front window frame. If this is worn out, it will cause the latches to be loose.
The weather strip seems fine to me, esp since the soft top never had issues with loose latches. miight be worth changing though since it's probably original lol.
I wonder, if you loosen the bolts, if there would be any play to allow you to lift the latches up then retighten them? That would make the latches tighter against the window frame.
good call - i'll run out after work and play around with it and see what happens!

I cut a piece of rubber hose lengthwise and slipped it in the windshield frame on mine. Best red neck fix I could think of at the time. Think I used vacuum line, didn’t take much.