Hardtop rear glass won't stay shut

OkHntr71

Good afternoon, everyone! I’m having issues with my rear lift glass. It “pops” out of the closed position when I close the cab doors and then vibrates while driving down the road. If anyone has any advice or ideas on what I could do would be greatly appreciated!

You could also glue a piece of aluminum between the seal and the lift gate to essentially lower the seal a bit. That's actually what I did for the same problem. I got the aluminum and adhesive at Home Depot.

Reactions: bcon2010
I was having the same issue. Had some leftover cowling foam from my old race bike and stuck it to the third brake light. It’s firm so it doesn’t let the glass push out. This was after I had already lowered my glass as much as I could. Works great.
C3067F24-E50A-4EE4-8119-7877ED226636.jpeg

5113AD65-7390-4AE9-BD85-A6637022F966.jpeg

Reactions: jazngab
I used this strip of vertical bulb trim seal to keep the back glass from popping over the tailgate:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HVDO86K/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Installed it four months ago and it has worked great. The flange fits perfectly over the top edge of the tailgate and holds tight.

Not my image, but this is what it looks like after install.

IMG_3899.JPG

The prior owner had added stick on weather-strip to the glass, which I wanted to remove. (I strongly dislike band aid solutions)

I replaced the lower glass seal then after a short drive it had the same problem: the drivers side would pop open slightly and there would be a 1/4" gap.

The solution for me after lowering the window (where it bolts to the top and not the glass) as as much as possible was adjusting the tailgate up and in very slightly using the latch strike pin in the body.

The solution for me after lowering the window (where it bolts to the top and not the glass) as as much as possible was adjusting the tailgate up and in very slightly using the latch strike pin in the body.
I’ve always noticed my tailgate doesn’t close flush. I had no idea the striker pin was adjustable so I’ll have to try this!

Reactions: Farmergreg
I was having the same issue. Had some leftover cowling foam from my old race bike and stuck it to the third brake light. It’s firm so it doesn’t let the glass push out. This was after I had already lowered my glass as much as I could. Works great.
View attachment 64750
View attachment 64751
great idea! I was wondering if maybe the brackets on the left and right of the tailgate for the soft top had anything to do with this issue too. I removed mine and thats when this started

great idea! I was wondering if maybe the brackets on the left and right of the tailgate for the soft top had anything to do with this issue too. I removed mine and thats when this started
They’re definitely supposed to be there. I’m not sure why people say to take them off. My hardtop on my current Jeep has no issues popping out of place (the Jeep above sold early this year).

Only thing I can think of is that the tops and tailgates changed 03-06. I had an 03-06 top on an 02 and while it mounted fine perhaps there was a slight difference in the tailgate lip and/or glass seal.
D811DE50-4101-46F9-BEBD-7ED0B4CC1963.jpeg

They’re definitely supposed to be there. I’m not sure why people say to take them off. My hardtop on my current Jeep has no issues popping out of place (the Jeep above sold early this year).

Only thing I can think of is that the tops and tailgates changed 03-06. I had an 03-06 top on an 02 and while it mounted fine perhaps there was a slight difference in the tailgate lip and/or glass seal.
View attachment 203151
This makes perfect sense. I bought a 2006 tj 8 months ago (total cream puff 55k miles nothing touched but a lift) and it came only with the hard top. However there were mounts for the soft top and the brackets for the back tailgate were there. I bought a soft top and it came with new brackets - I just switched back to the hard top for the winter and took them off completely and the window issue started. I just didn’t know any better this is my first tj. Will reinstall the brackets tonight and then circle back here to confirm that is the issue. Thanks for the quick reply! I think the tj may not only be the best jeep but the best vehicle I have ever had. Love this thing.

It took me a minute to find the stop 🤣 That’s a sweet little setup.

This makes perfect sense. I bought a 2006 tj 8 months ago (total cream puff 55k miles nothing touched but a lift) and it came only with the hard top. However there were mounts for the soft top and the brackets for the back tailgate were there. I bought a soft top and it came with new brackets - I just switched back to the hard top for the winter and took them off completely and the window issue started. I just didn’t know any better this is my first tj. Will reinstall the brackets tonight and then circle back here to confirm that is the issue. Thanks for the quick reply! I think the tj may not only be the best jeep but the best vehicle I have ever had. Love this thing.
I smile every time I drive mine, they’re just so fun. If it doesn’t work the bulb seal trick mentioned above definitely will.

Reactions: ejay