Hardtop repair

04RubiOR

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
The previous owner of my tj had mounted a GoPro to the top of hardtop. There are screw holes in the hardtop. He attempted to plug with some sort of silicone. Not sure exactly what he used. It doesn’t leak but it doesn’t look pretty. Is there a way to repair hardtops so you can’t tell there were screw holes at one point?

The TJ hardtops are made of SMC and require a resin other than the polyester—that is used on conventional fiberglass work—if the repair is structural.

To my knowledge all generations of Wranglers (including the JKs) use SMC for the hard tops as well.

Since the repair isn't structural, you could repair it using fiberglass, or probably even something as simple as JB Weld KwikWeld (I've used this to repair just about everything you can imagine, no joke). I can't imagine filling some screw holes and painting over it would be very difficult.

Any specific kind of epoxy?

You need to use a repair compound that's compatible with the polyester resin in the sheet-moulding compound (SMC) that forms the hardtop; usage of an incompatible resin will cause an eventual failure, one way or another. Please note that you cannot just "fiberglass it" as some have suggested in times past. Take your time, do some research, and repair it correctly.

Reactions: 04RubiOR
Can anyone help with repairing chipped Hardtop?

E04EDC3D-011A-4CE8-B17C-F59B3DCE5152.jpeg

0806A437-E894-4B92-8863-3429ED73D3CA.jpeg