Hardtop storage

Finally

Ok....the debate rages on. Looking to build a storage rack for my hardtop. (97 TJ )
Most designs show vertical while some show a horizontal.
Which is better for safety and retaining proper shape?

Any design ideas also appreciated. Long live soft top season

I have a very low ceiling in my garage. The entry is only 74" and the ceiling maybe 78" under the ducts. Makes it a bit difficult to get my 80" tall jeep (and that's without the rack) inside.

But once I do get it in, all I have to do is back it up under the hooks and use a pair of ratchet straps to raise it 5" to the ceiling. Then those ratchet straps hold it there for the summer. I put in a second pair going across just as a backup and to distribute the load a bit better.

I've never had a hardtop but a couple yrs ago my son bought a moldy and muddy factory hardtop for his YJ. As ugly as it was and however it was stored, it fit so perfectly he didn't even bother screwing it to the windshield frame. Yes that caused leaks but it's still the same shape today.

If there is any possibility that the TJ hardtops, especially an aftermarket hardtop, might warp out of shape I'd think that in addition to what the sides are sitting on when being stored horizontally, you'd also need something to support the front edge like the windshield does and vertical storage wouldn't even be mentioned.

I have been looking at storing my wife's JK hardtop. From what I've seen available I'm going to lift and store it horizontally hanging from my garage ceiling. That may be somewhat cumbersome in action but definitely up and out of the way.

I built a cart out of scrap plywood and a 2x4, with locking casters. It is designed to store the top in a vertical position, and I manually line it with a blanket prior to setting the hardtop on it. This setup requires a storage area of 12.5 feet (2.5 feet x 5 feet) with the hardtop on, and when not in use I lean it against the wall out of my way. The cart is canted so that the hardtop is perpendicular to the floor, with a lip to rest the hardtop's lower edge against, preventing the hardtop from sliding off of the cart. The rearmost ledge is designed to rest the upper part of the hardtop on without damaging the wiper. Flat dimensions are 29" x 54". distance between the front lip and the rear ledge is 26". That open area was cut out years ago for some other project and is not necessary-I just used what I had available.

Storage Cart 2.jpg

Storage cart1.jpg

Reactions: Yuan
I built a cart out of scrap plywood and a 2x4, with locking casters. It is designed to store the top in a vertical position, and I manually line it with a blanket prior to setting the hardtop on it. This setup requires a storage area of 12.5 feet (2.5 feet x 5 feet) with the hardtop on, and when not in use I lean it against the wall out of my way. The cart is canted so that the hardtop is perpendicular to the floor, with a lip to rest the hardtop's lower edge against, preventing the hardtop from sliding off of the cart. The rearmost ledge is designed to rest the upper part of the hardtop on without damaging the wiper. Flat dimensions are 29" x 54". distance between the front lip and the rear ledge is 26". That open area was cut out years ago for some other project and is not necessary-I just used what I had available.
This is how I stored my LJ hard top for the past three summers. No issues when refitting it.

Reactions: glowell222