Hardtop troubles

Just a Jeep

So I live in southeast Florida But but near the Everglades. So if your from down here you know it rains every day this time of year. So I started looking for a hardtop. Being unable to find an original that wouldn’t cost me more than a new one to fix I decided to purchase a Smittybilt top. So it finally arrived after two months and i had the place I got it from to install it. So I go pick it up and am immediately told that one of the j clamps for the windshield was missing. From there it went down hill. Foam was missing where the windshield meets. None of the rubber was finished off and the seal on the drivers side was pealing away by the time I got it home. Now Smittybilt is telling me, rather rudely, that they won’t have the part until “maybe the end of the month”. The guys who installed it say they now have the rubber, so I’m venturing over tomorrow to see if they can get that part fixed. (they are trying to help)
meanwhile I manufactured a quick fix for the j-clamp so i can get it down to the shop safely and hopefully stop the leaking. The guy I talked to A #Smittybilt was a real jerk and made it clear he didn’t want to talk to me, much less help.

0F10C2F1-4CD4-420F-9202-E547CEC5ACC8.jpeg

1BF1F4AF-0DB8-4FB0-B045-061FBA23816E.jpeg

0E723EA0-72A5-43DF-A524-B72203FDD7C2.jpeg

421A09A2-0C43-420E-943F-3D54E1F47205.jpeg

1DFE8E33-50ED-444A-A009-F8AC39C47AF6.jpeg

20519E83-1DAE-4305-BCDC-A729977EA739.jpeg

52E317EB-7B79-41E4-8110-2A6DAB295BE5.jpeg

On the bright side it looks good from a distance?
I was fore warned about Shittybuilt from the members here a long time ago.
Don't cheap out next time, pony up and only pay once is most's motto around here.
I'd return it too!

Ok….
I took it in for them to fix it and after an hour they came out and said that it wasn’t built correctly. I had them take it off and refund me the money. So the Shittybilt top is gone and I’m back on the hunt for an Oem hardtop. Anyone in south Florida having one they want to part with PM me !!

Ok….
I took it in for them to fix it and after an hour they came out and said that it wasn’t built correctly. I had them take it off and refund me the money. So the Shittybilt top is gone and I’m back on the hunt for an Oem hardtop. Anyone in south Florida having one they want to part with PM me !!
Have you considered a Bestop softop for it?

So I live in southeast Florida But but near the Everglades. So if your from down here you know it rains every day this time of year. So I started looking for a hardtop. Being unable to find an original that wouldn’t cost me more than a new one to fix I decided to purchase a Smittybilt top. So it finally arrived after two months and i had the place I got it from to install it. So I go pick it up and am immediately told that one of the j clamps for the windshield was missing. From there it went down hill. Foam was missing where the windshield meets. None of the rubber was finished off and the seal on the drivers side was pealing away by the time I got it home. Now Smittybilt is telling me, rather rudely, that they won’t have the part until “maybe the end of the month”. The guys who installed it say they now have the rubber, so I’m venturing over tomorrow to see if they can get that part fixed. (they are trying to help)
meanwhile I manufactured a quick fix for the j-clamp so i can get it down to the shop safely and hopefully stop the leaking. The guy I talked to A #Smittybilt was a real jerk and made it clear he didn’t want to talk to me, much less help.

Really sorry to hear it, but thank you for sharing. I am in the market for a hard top, and I will definitely not buy a Smitty.

What? You should be able to get a OEM TJ hardtop for $1000 or so, this one is twice that. I am sure there are very nice though.
These folks sell a bunch of their tops!!!! They are about 40 miles from me. They also sell the take off soft tops and frames on Craigslist, usually for around $250.00.

These folks sell a bunch of their tops!!!! They are about 40 miles from me. They also sell the take off soft tops and frames on Craigslist, usually for around $250.00.
Like I said, I'm sure they are nice and the opening side window is a great feature but they are nowhere near the price of a used OEM top.