Has anybody experienced notchy steering?

Rubicon John

TJ Enthusiast
Took the Jeep out for a drive today and all was normal. After a little while I noticed the steering felt notchy while making turns and didn’t go away.

I feel it through the steering wheel. My guess is that it’s something in the column due to how I’m feeling it through the steering wheel.

Front end seems to turn and steer just fine and nothing is hung up from what I can see. Usually I would dive into it myself and check a couple things but my apartment doesn’t really allow for vehicle diagnosis and I’m at home for the weekend now.

Really just wondering if anybody has come across this before. I was actually checking out some slight play between the steering wheel and the box this morning and I noticed there’s 2 joints in the steering column and a bearing.

Have any of you experienced this?

If it tends to occur at 45 or 90 degree angles, it's likely the u-joints in one of the steering shafts. I've had it happen on other cars. A temporary fix is to douse the u-joints in PB Blaster or WD-40. A lot of times that is enough to free it up. The proper and permanent fix is to replace the faulty steering shaft.

If you have a significant body lift, that can aggravate the issue. A taller steering shaft riser like the one M.O.R.E. makes can help alleviate the excessive angles on the steering shaft.

I believe there are actually three u-joints on the steering column. If I recall correctly, the upper shaft has two joints and the lower has one.

If it tends to occur at 45 or 90 degree angles, it's likely the u-joints in one of the steering shafts. I've had it happen on other cars. A temporary fix is to douse the u-joints in PB Blaster or WD-40. A lot of times that is enough to free it up. The proper and permanent fix is to replace the faulty steering shaft.

If you have a significant body lift, that can aggravate the issue. A taller steering shaft riser like the one M.O.R.E. makes can help alleviate the excessive angles on the steering shaft.

I believe there are actually three u-joints on the steering column. If I recall correctly, the upper shaft has two joints and the lower has one.
Appreciate the post. I do have a BL but it’s never been an issue. I’m going to put some penetrant on it for the hell of it Monday and see what it does.

My issue seems to be throughout the steering sweep in even increments.

Appreciate the post. I do have a BL but it’s never been an issue. I’m going to put some penetrant on it for the hell of it Monday and see what it does.

My issue seems to be throughout the steering sweep in even increments.
Sure sounds like it. My f150 used to have this binding feeling starting at 45 degrees and repeating every 90 degrees past that. Spraying the joint fixed it for a couple weeks at a time.

You definitely wouldn't want to trust it as a long term fix though. If that u-joint fails Jesus is taking the wheel whether you want him to or not.

Reactions: Blondie70
Sure sounds like it. My f150 used to have this binding feeling starting at 45 degrees and repeating every 90 degrees past that. Spraying the joint fixed it for a couple weeks at a time.

You definitely wouldn't want to trust it as a long term fix though. If that u-joint fails Jesus is taking the wheel whether you want him to or not.
Completely understand that. I haven’t researched the steering shaft, do you know of it can be rebuilt or does it have to be replaced?

Completely understand that. I haven’t researched the steering shaft, do you know of it can be rebuilt or does it have to be replaced?
For the most part, it is generally replaced.

There are two steering shafts: upper and lower.

The lower shaft is unique to the 97-02 years versus the 03-06 years. The reason is that the 03-06 TJs use a much shorter steering box, thus requiring a longer shaft. An 03-06 TJ shaft can be collapsed to the 97-02 length, but a 97-02 cannot be made to fit an 03-06. (The only exception is that a 97-02 shaft will bolt in to an 03-06 when an aftermarket PSC steering box is installed.)

The upper steering shaft I believe is the same across all years.

Mopar 03-06 lower shafts are next to impossible to come by, but 97-02 ones are still around. Upper mopar shafts are hit and miss. Crown offers competitively priced upper and lower shafts.

Borgeson offers a heavy duty upper and lower shaft for all years. The shafts use heavier tubing and larger u-joints. They are quite expensive though. The lowers also do not come with the carrier bearing, which must be transplanted onto the new lower shaft. As far as I can tell, nobody sells just the carrier bearing.

Check on the fluid? If the fluid gets foamy or especially if it gets too hot then you can feel the steering wheel sort of 'ratchet' during a turn. It kind of hits a soft stop, and if you loosely pull back and then into the turn again it will go a bit farther, then hit a soft stop again. Check that your p.s. fluid is in good shape and level.

Reactions: Rubicon John
Check on the fluid? If the fluid gets foamy or especially if it gets too hot then you can feel the steering wheel sort of 'ratchet' during a turn. It kind of hits a soft stop, and if you loosely pull back and then into the turn again it will go a bit farther, then hit a soft stop again. Check that your p.s. fluid is in good shape and level.
I just realized yesterday was the first hot day I’ve driven the Jeep since buying it in Feb. I also ran the A/C briefly which can create even more heat.

Went down and cold started it this morning and sure enough the issue is gone. Definitely going to be replacing the fluid ASAP.

Yet another reason why preventative maintenance is always a good idea.

Reactions: Steel City 06