Has anyone ever seen anything like this winch box?

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Supporting Member
Has anyone ever seen anything like this?
winch-box.jpg

I'd *LOVE* to have something like this - but preferably with a hinged top. I'm guessing this is custom made, but thought I'd throw it out there to see if anyone has any knowledge of something similar. Plastic could work too...

Never seen that before, yeah I think that was a custom job. With some dimensions you might be able to get one made fairly cheap if you finish/paint it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zorba
Just curious.
Why?

modify something like this maybe?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001SF0RUE/?tag=wranglerorg-20
I was thinking of something like that, but 8 inches is about all I can tolerate front-to-back, and this one is pushing 10. Still, I'll noodle on it a bit - an alternate scheme just popped into my head...

As for "Why", to protect the winch from the CONSTANT Florida rain and sunshine - you wouldn't believe how beat up this winch was when I got it!

EDIT: Its $104 at Warrior Women, but only $80 at Homeless Despot.

Last edited:
One thought is the front would let water in. The front has to have enough room for the rope. So water is going to get in it as you drive in the rain. But wouldn’t really be ventilated good enough for it to dry out quickly. Probably stay wet almost all the time inside of that box.

Reactions: Kevin Q and DWR
Does the box come off easily?. My concern would be how to keep an eye on the rope/cable during wind in so you can check it's lay on the winch drum. Your flip top idea would be much better for that reason.

Reactions: chad
One thought is the front would let water in. The front has to have enough room for the rope. So water is going to get in it as you drive in the rain. But wouldn’t really be ventilated good enough for it to dry out quickly. Probably stay wet almost all the time inside of that box.
That has occurred to me as well - I have "some ideas" to try. I probably won't be doing this - there just seems to be no pre-fabbed boxes of any type that are narrow enough, and I'm sure not paying custom prices!

Superwinch makes a portable “winch in a box”, but it looks bulky and seems like only 4K. There are some “winch box” options out there, but their flaws have been pointed out already.

Superwinch makes a portable “winch in a box”, but it looks bulky and seems like only 4K. There are some “winch box” options out there, but their flaws have been pointed out already.
Yea, that's where I got the initial idea from.

Reactions: TWiG01
Any way to free spool?
No need to free spool if the winch never gets used.

It's the same reason why there is no need to know if the cable is stacking up on one side if the winch never gets used.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zorba
No need to free spool if the winch never gets used.

Is the same reason why there is no need to know if the cable is stacking up on one side if the winch never gets used.
Maybe there's not even a winch underneath that thing!