Has anyone ever seen this nonsense?

Kermit1911

Due to some drive line vibrations on my wrangler, I am forced to look into the source of my issues. Now, whether it's bad luck, or just coincidence; I have been under this jeep at least a dozen times inspecting or fixing things and never saw this. As you can imagine, I got pretty angry at the previous owner and the dealership that surely saw this and probably did the work. 75 dollars later, and I have a slip yoke on order. This is on a 2004 4.0 TJ with an auto and 231 t-case. I can't for the life of me ever think of an excuse to think this style of farm repair is acceptable... It has lasted a year but I really don't trust this to drive on for much more than the short distances it currently is used for. Especially with high speeds. I rarely get to drive faster than 55.
Resized_20210402_171002.jpeg

Why would anyone ever tack weld that on WTF?!?!

That’s a serious dumbass cheapout fix!

Glad to see you caught it before it caused an accident.
Extreme Terrain had the part on their site. I bought some Omix ADA u-joints and bearing straps to tend to what I thought would just be a u-joint issue. Once the new slip yoke comes in, I'll have some new u-joints, a new slip boot and fresh coat of POR 15. I'm trying to make the best out of a crap situation.

Not sure why you would be angry with the PO or the dealership.

You bought it. You own it.

You gots to inspect with OCD.

I bought mine and a week later I noticed a knock sound in the rear wheel area.

Turns out the emergency brake cable bracket was not attached and was flopping. I should've seen it when I crawled under it. Stupid me didn't look well enough. Luckily it was an easy find/ fix..

When I hand over the money I own the issues.

I've seen people tack them in, but just to make sure they don't pop out. The broken groove is much more serious & something I've never seen before

After replacing the yolk, the shaft should be balanced. They are always balanced as an assembly. Most people are lucky, and get no vibrations but it can, and does happen. As an unrelated side note, others here would recommend you replace every u joint in your vehicle due to one u joint being bad. They are foolish and unrealistic. Just replace what is necessary, and enjoy your ride!

Last edited:
Talk all you want to but it worked, is still working and will probably work well into the future. The snap ring is held in place just as if the ring groove was intact. I had a ford Pigup that ran with a broken yoke like this for years until I sold it. There's more than one way to skin a cat they say!

Talk all you want to but it worked, is still working and will probably work well into the future. The snap ring is held in place just as if the ring groove was intact. I had a ford Pigup that ran with a broken yoke like this for years until I sold it. There's more than one way to skin a cat they say!
I have done this in the past. Sometimes you gotta get back on the road!

After replacing the yolk, the shaft should be balanced. They are always balanced as an assembly. Most people are lucky, and get no vibrations but it can, and does happen. As an unrelated side note, others here would recommend you replace every u joint in your vehicle due to one u joint being bad. They are foolish and unrealistic. Just replace what is necessary, and enjoy your ride!
Thanks for the input! I bought two 1310 joints for the rear shaft, and planned on replacing them both. I'll take the shaft down to the local shop for a balance check after I replace the joints.

Yes it has worked! I just don't trust it at super high speeds for long periods of time.

On a side note- nice jeep, Dude!

I've seen people tack them in, but just to make sure they don't pop out. The broken groove is much more serious & something I've never seen before
Someone put the retainer in on that side and went after it with a press. Unfortunately a needle(s) had fallen over and they blew out the groove because the u-joint was too long.

those kinds of things happen. just a trail fix. replace it and continue. im kinda dissapointed in the lack of welded material. see it more on stub shafts with bent ears.