Has anyone had success repainting the interior plastics of their TJ?

French_Bulldog

Supporting Member
I’ve removed all the plastic from the inside of my TJ. I scuffed it and spray painted it, and found it was flaking.

My new plan of attack is:
- scuff pad/sanding to remove new and old paint
- rubbing alcohol to clean it off
- a spray paint adhesive promoter
- Rust-Oleum fabric and vinyl paint (I used regular the first time)

Saw this in a YouTube video, think this will work?

IDK, but report back. The collar around my steering column is seriously discolored and would love to know what works.

I’ve removed all the plastic from the inside of my TJ. I scuffed it and spray painted it, and found it was flaking.

My new plan of attack is:
- scuff pad/sanding to remove new and old paint
- rubbing alcohol to clean it off
- a spray paint adhesive promoter
- Rust-Oleum fabric and vinyl paint (I used regular the first time)

Saw this in a YouTube video, think this will work?

I did with about the same steps. Paint needs a rough surface to grab on to, otherwise it will flake.

It has to be CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN. If anyone has used armor all or something similar on the panel in the past, the paint will not adhere properly. Armor all has silicone in it, and paint will not stick to silicone. Scrub brushes and ajax with bleach should do the trick...but keep after it. Spray it with water when you think you have it done. If the water runs off in sheets, you're good. If it beads up or repels anywhere, back to cleaning.

I did my door panels amd dshboard with SEM. Turned out excellent. They make all kinds of colors. Take it apart and wash it. I also sanded it with 800 grit.

I repainted my half doors too. Used Dawn dish soap and a brush to clean it a couple times. Couple coats of SEM adhesion promoter and 3 or 4 coats of SEM color coat.

It has to be CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN. If anyone has used armor all or something similar on the panel in the past, the paint will not adhere properly. Armor all has silicone in it, and paint will not stick to silicone. Scrub brushes and ajax with bleach should do the trick...but keep after it. Spray it with water when you think you have it done. If the water runs off in sheets, you're good. If it beads up or repels anywhere, back to cleaning.
First step with all painting is wash with detergent and then a solvent wipe that will remove oils and silicone.

First step with all painting is wash with detergent and then a solvent wipe that will remove oils and silicone.

Agree, but you have to be careful with plastic and solvents. Anything strong enough to get the silicone with one wipe will typically ruin plastic...Silicone is pretty resistant to petrochemicals too...that's why it can be used as fuel line.

When painting my black half doors I used a process similar to what @MountaineerTom and @Dunkut88TJ described earlier in this thread :
- scrubbed with Comet, rinsed,
- cleaned with Simple Green, rinsed, let dry
- sprayed one coat with Rust-oleum Adhesion Promoter (tested spray pattern on back first), let dry,
- sprayed multiple light coats of Dupli-Color Vinyl & Fabric coating (tested spray pattern on back first), let dry between coats.

The Dupli-Color HVP106 Flat Black was a perfect match to the stock black color and is not flaking after daily use.

PXL_20220129_225059450.jpg

Reactions: MountaineerTom