Has anyone installed a pre-2003 fuel tank into a 2003 or newer TJ?

3FOffroad

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Trying to see if anyone has installed a pre 2003 fuel tank into a 2003 and newer TJ? I have a 2001 tank I'm looking to use in my 2004 LJ. Thanks!

I'm actually curious about this myself, so I'd like to hear what others have to say.

I believe the venting system is different between 97-02 and 03-06. There is also a fuel pump difference between 03-04 and 05-06.

The Genright gas tank pages mention it briefly:
https://genright.com/products/jeep-tj-lj-extended-range-gas-tank-skid-plate-24-5-gal.htmlhttps://genright.com/products/jeep-lj-safari-gas-tank-skid-plate-31-5-gal.html
You are correct! I’m thinking, scary I know, that I can swap out the pump, then tap into the exiting vent tubes with a T and run to filler neck and the evap. I spent about a hour just staring at them the other night and pondering... this is all based on the pumps being interchangeable...:rolleyes:
You can see in the pictures the differences and the reason I am looking to change. Broke the dang vent neck. Being told you can’t replace...?

FE1B7EC4-81C8-4365-9A38-93C5AB9A04B9.jpeg

A3F9D683-CADB-442C-B183-26C356534DFD.jpeg

88C830C8-A5AD-47FF-8E19-ABF477FCB404.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: Chris
You are correct! I’m thinking, scary I know, that I can swap out the pump, then tap into the exiting vent tubes with a T and run to filler neck and the evap. I spent about a hour just staring at them the other night and pondering... this is all based on the pumps being interchangeable...:rolleyes:
You can see in the pictures the differences and the reason I am looking to change. Broke the dang vent neck. Being told you can’t replace...?

View attachment 159505

View attachment 159506

View attachment 159507
I have a feeling fixing the vent neck wouldn’t be too difficult, your best bet is to search up a parts yard near you and pull one.

I have a feeling fixing the vent neck wouldn’t be too difficult, your best bet is to search up a parts yard near you and pull one.
I hear you there. I’m trying to save some money. Found this tank for $50 and thought it would be an easy fix. The 03-04 tanks are going for around $300-400 range. No good!

I hear you there. I’m trying to save some money. Found this tank for $50 and thought it would be an easy fix. The 03-04 tanks are going for around $300-400 range. No good!

Did you have any success? My filler neck on my 2003 TJ fuel tank broke off and I am not having any luck finding that part by itself anywhere. I attached an example pic of what I'm looking for and the one with the broken plastic neck.

Screenshot 2021-03-20 195913.png

20210320_172117 (Medium).jpg

Trying to see if anyone has installed a pre 2003 fuel tank into a 2003 and newer TJ? I have a 2001 tank I'm looking to use in my 2004 LJ. Thanks!
Hey, I've got a 2006 tank from my LJ, I just installed the Gen Right 31.5 gallon tank...it's in excellent shape all you need is to swap the lines and hoses. 2006 has a different locking nut so you will have to get an 06 fuel pump, I could be wrong as I don't think the 04 fuel pump will squeeze down enough to put the lock nut on..

Reactions: PNWBrian
Hey, I've got a 2006 tank from my LJ, I just installed the Gen Right 31.5 gallon tank...it's in excellent shape all you need is to swap the lines and hoses. 2006 has a different locking nut so you will have to get an 06 fuel pump, I could be wrong as I don't think the 04 fuel pump will squeeze down enough to put the lock nut on..
Hi James, I'm guessing the original poster has solved their issue.

I'm checking with my local Jeep mechanic and have a few options on eBay as well. My fuel pump is not very old so I'm going to try to track down a 2003 tank first. I'm not sure what shipping from TX would cost either.

Thanks for the offer and I'll reach out if I'm not having any luck!

Hi James, I'm guessing the original poster has solved their issue.

I'm checking with my local Jeep mechanic and have a few options on eBay as well. My fuel pump is not very old so I'm going to try to track down a 2003 tank first. I'm not sure what shipping from TX would cost either.

Thanks for the offer and I'll reach out if I'm not having any luck!
No worries, another forum member contacted me and purchased the tank..

Reactions: PNWBrian