Has anyone removed the rollbar padding?

Maso

TJ Enthusiast
Has anyone removed the padding from the rollbar. I have the top off as I am installing some insulation in it and was thinking of removing the covers and padding. I used to have a CJ7 years ago and I like the look of it, and no, I never bashed my head on them. Anyway, I started to unzip them but found the wiring on the outside of the bars going up to the interior lights and speakers. So I zipped it back up agian. Is there any tricks to making the wiring blend in and not look like an afterthought since it will be exposed. I have the 2006 TJ. I will leave the padding on the bars that go to the windshield.

Reactions: Blank
There's a few people on here who have removed it, so hopefully they chime in!

I removed mine much like you are thinking. My wiring was also on the outside of the B pillar roll bar. I took white vinyl tape (my jeep is white) and covered the wiring going up the driver side, and on a few strategic spots on the top of the roll bar. I like the look as well.
20160529_144828.jpg

I removed mine much like you are thinking. My wiring was also on the outside of the B pillar roll bar. I took white vinyl tape (my jeep is white) and covered the wiring going up the driver side, and on a few strategic spots on the top of the roll bar. I like the look as well.
View attachment 25224
I was thinking about the tape option. Might just do it, can always put the covers back on if I'm not happy.

Reactions: bobthetj03
Well, thanks to cheap ass Chrylser, i'm putting this project on hold for a while. I started to pull off the covers and noticed they didn't bother to paint the rollcage, just the bits that stick out from the padding. The rest is grey. Not surprised though.

IMG_1941.jpg

IMG_1942.jpg

Wow what a bunch of cheats...mmm lets just paint the bottom bit and forget the rest...I'm gonna have to check mine now too

Well, thanks to cheap ass Chrylser, i'm putting this project on hold for a while. I started to pull off the covers and noticed they didn't bother to paint the rollcage, just the bits that stick out from the padding. The rest is grey. Not surprised though.
Wow! That's crazy. Must have built yours on Friday and was running out of time and wanted to get out of there. Figured just cover it up with roll bar padding and no one know the difference for years.

Reactions: Reign Mack and EJD
I've seen this on a few jeeps. Not sure what happened at the factory for them not to paint the roll bars. Weird!

I ended up pulling off the padding, to hell with the back bars that aren't painted. Another thing to do later. I do like the look better and there's a bit more vision out the side windows when the top is on. I ended up running the wiring inside that plastic split tube stuff and taped that to the roll bar. Will put up some photos soon.

Reactions: bobthetj03
Having cracked my head on the rollbar pretty good a couple times, I like some kind of padding at least on parts close to my head. I get mine from Home Depot in the piping aisle where you can find long pieces of foam insulation. It is slit up the side so it slides right over the tubing and its ID fits perfectly.

What you have there is the custom "Winfield Fade" paintjob, made famous by Gene Winfield in 1957. People pay dang good money for one of his paint jobs. Look into it. If I'm lying, I'm dying! Maybe he did a stint working for Chrysler...? :D

I kept mine for my kids soft skull, I thought that's where those are for.

Tried to remove it at one point then put them back on because the tubes are not well painted. I thought they look better with the paddings though.