Has anyone replaced spare tire rack with a cargo rack / basket?

ranwilrw

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Has anyone ever replaced the spare tire rack with some sort of cargo rack or basket? Did you buy or fabricate? Pictures please.

I don't recall seeing any that replaced the stock tire carrier, there may be some though.

That might not be good for the tailgate and hinges as some have had problems with metal fatigue with bigger tires, especially if they are not up against the snubbers to keep it from shaking and vibrating. I'd think a cargo basket would do the same thing with having all the leverage from items on it. Unless it was very small which would kind of defeat the purpose. You could get one of the beefed up tailgate hinge kits and then probably do it.

There are lots of options for replacement bumpers with tire carriers that can have a cargo rack mounted to it.
I have an LOD version of that. The downside to that is it involves more money over just adding a cargo rack to the tailgate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alex01
I originally built a mount to fit my hi-lift jack, but later fabricated a basket to fit on the mount as well. I don't put anything too heavy on it as it does task the tailgate a bit.
20150220_145528.jpg
hilift mount1.jpg
20160617_094544.jpg

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Has anyone ever replaced the spare tire rack with some sort of cargo rack or basket? Did you buy or fabricate? Pictures please.

Technically, yes, I did exactly that...with a Gobi rack. The spare tire now rides up top, when need be.

Are you asking about adding a rack to the tailgate above the spare, or replacing the spare itself with a basket? One of those is a bad idea; the other one isn't, necessarily.

I had a cargo rack over the spare on my CJ-7 for a while. It was manufactured by Tomken if I remember correctly. It was okay, and typically carried a couple of bag chairs and a picnic basket or day cooler, but it blocked the rear view more than I liked so I got rid of it.

A later storage incarnation for that jeep included a 24" x 48" Con-Ferr porthole roof basket that bolted to brackets welded to my roll cage. I used it to carry lightweight items on longer trails, and it was easily and quickly removed when I wasn't using it. (I still have the basket in my garage, just in case the need arises. Con Ferr racks are becoming very hard to find.)

Pictured on the Rubicon many years ago:

Rubicon2000-1.jpg

Technically, yes, I did exactly that...with a Gobi rack. The spare tire now rides up top, when need be.

Are you asking about adding a rack to the tailgate above the spare, or replacing the spare itself with a basket? One of those is a bad idea; the other one isn't, necessarily.
Replacing the spare with a small rack or basket, something to throw a gas/deisel can in, or anything you don't want inside with you.

Replacing the spare with a small rack or basket, something to throw a gas/deisel can in, or anything you don't want inside with you.

It's been done, and I've designed one, myself. The simplest solution is the Rotopax mount, but you can also rig up a jerry can carrier with a little bit of cutting and welding. The main problem you'll have with the jerry can is that you can only fit one of them on the tailgate, easily...so if you go that route, shove it all the way to the right and reduce the leverage on the tailgate hinges, and then leave yourself a little bit of room for a small recovery box - or something similar - near the tailgate latch.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
It amazes me when I see these little Jeeps with all this stuff hung all over them. Reminds me of The Grapes of Wrath and the pictures of the poor folks leaving their ruined dust bowl farms with everything they owned piled on their farm truck. You know you can always get a bigger truck. I hear that Jeep is building a nice big looong truck nowadays. A Gladi-something?

Haven't you seen what they had loaded up in WWII? 🇺🇸All that and towing a howitzer to boot.😳 It is truly astonishing what these little trucks are able to do.🐐