Has anyone swapped out their factory gauge cluster with aftermarket gauges?

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Curious to know if anyone here has swapped out their factory gauge cluster for aftermarket gauges such as Autometer.

I'm curious how to go about doing this, if it's easy to do, etc.

The engine will remain a 4.0, so this has nothing to do with a V8 swap. Pictures, info, and any links are greatly appreciated.

following, I run an Ultragauge off the OBD2, love it but it's definitely designed to be run in addition to a "factory" gauge set.

Reactions: Chris
Looks like this might be the ticket:

https://www.painlessperformance.com/wc/30301
But the question is, will my TJ work with aftermarket gauges? I was under the impression that the PCM has to talk to the factory gauge cluster, and if the factory gauge cluster isn't there, the vehicle won't start.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Hmm...
following, I run an Ultragauge off the OBD2, love it but it's definitely designed to be run in addition to a "factory" gauge set.
Are you using the wired model with screen or the bluetooth model?

I currently run a ScanGuage II, however I'm digging the idea of bluetooth with an ipad mounted over the OEM cluster.

Hmm...

Are you using the wired model with screen or the bluetooth model?

I currently run a ScanGuage II, however I'm digging the idea of bluetooth with an ipad mounted over the OEM cluster.
I have run both. Until recently I ran a Wifi OBD2 to an app (OBD Fusion) on my phone, I found refresh times slow and connecting every time I got in the Jeep was annoying. Plus I couldn’t run maps while I ran gauges (apple stuff) however the customization was awesome and the data logging made it easy to figure out what was causing what, the app Had tons of cool features, but I wasn’t making as much use of them as I thought, so I swapped to a wired Ultragauge mounted above my rear view update times are way faster, shows all the info I need to know while driving and it just boots up when I turn the key, leaving my phone available.

the WiFi was about 1/2 the price of the ultrgauge (if you already have a phone) if your thinking of hard mounting the tablet, they do make plug in OBD2 connectors that transfer to micro usb or other connections. So that and an app might be a good route.

I did not like the pre made gauge pods. So I dismantled a factory pod and used thin aluminum to create my own. I did have to mount the tachometer on the A pillar.

all said and done as much as I dislike digital the Dakota digital would probably been easier

DFA1A296-727C-470D-A175-21A9D2DFFB58.jpeg

I did not like the pre made gauge pods. So I dismantled a factory pod and used thin aluminum to create my own. I did have to mount the tachometer on the A pillar.

all said and done as much as I dislike digital the Dakota digital would probably been easier

View attachment 200990

What's the Dakota Digital? I don't see them offering anything for the TJ.

Also, were these relatively easy to wire up? Did you use a plug-and-play harness, or did you tap into the factory wiring harness?

I'm not worried about the speedometer since I have a SpeedoHealer, which makes it easy to recalibrate.

Reactions: NDSpeed
I’ve not fully integrated everything yet. Still in the building area.
(ive been sitting on my butt. )

mine is a engine swap so I did it to get rid of the factory computer.

Reactions: Chris
On a slightly unrelated note, does anyone know how to get fuel level off of the OBD2? Both of the OBD2 gauge packages I have used haven't been able to find it, but I assume there's a parameter for it from the Evap test that requires a certain fuel level.

Yep, that is indeed what I have in mind. I may end up with an aftermarket aluminum dash, but the gauges and layout would remain the same regardless of the dash.
The Duke Engineering Dash, when released/built, can be made to accept the stock cluster and you could add the auto meter gauges for a clean install/look.

Be aware, you’ll lose high beam indication, all your warning lamps, to include the check engine light. Some of that stuff can be retrofitted as seen in the lower picture that I posted above. I also believe AutoMeter sells two different variants. One is without turn signal indicators and warning lamps; the other has that stuff included, I think.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/...OxSl_xeK-9G2ZxW9LzAY7YJK7ltNg-GBoCJXUQAvD_BwE