Has anyone used the B&M short shift with 1” Body lift

connor grimes

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
After reading a lot of great things about the B and M short shifter for the TJ I’m about to pull the trigger. My only question is will this work with my 1 inch body lift. I don’t see it causes any problems but just wanted to see if anybody’s here is running a similar set up

It’s 100% why it’s contacting and my theory is that the BM shifter has shorter throws so it will not contact the console bezel . I also have a 1” MML lift

Reactions: Akitadog
Kind of a waste of money in my opinion. Just move the console back 1". I have 2" BL , MML, and TC drop.

Great to hear , any tips on the install?
I don’t recall anything that was particularly difficult with it. Easy install. Took maybe an hour?
EB2B108F-9144-4020-AE9B-05873085F28E.jpeg

Reactions: connor grimes
If you do a tummy tuck it should cancel any affects the body lit has on the shifter right?

The PO bent my shifter handle and had a transfer case drop in when I bought the Jeep. I took the drop out to no negative effect except that the shifter hit the console. I heated and bend the shift handle so it does not hit any more.

Good shifters, not really necessary to fix your alignment issues but it does feel better than the stock shifter. Haven't done it yet but itt on my list. I've used B&M short shifters in other cars and always liked them.

I have a 1.25" body lift, 1" MML and a custom tummy tuck skid with a B&M short throw on my NV3550. I had to increase the bend in the shifter to get it away from the dash otherwise I'd hit my knuckles shifting to 1, 3, and 5th. No issues with it contacting the center console.

I actually bought the shifter for my NSG-370 and the shifts were great, it no longer popped out of 1st … BUT in stock configuration the shifter would hit the center console …

Take a look at the differences between the towers between the TJ and JK, and know that the B&M is modeled after the JK. I called B&M and they had no interest in making a TJ version.

TJ Shift Tower with gooseneck.
1654244653935.jpeg

JK Shift tower with just a bend
1654244789921.jpeg

And of course the B&M
1654244876822.jpeg

I don't have a BL, but I do have the B&M. Got mine brand new on Marketplace in a sealed box for $125 and a box of Mike-n-Ikes. I would think the shorter throw (and it's a whole lot shorter) would prevent the shifter from hitting the boot trim. Advantage if you're doing the BL. Install was super easy and I found $0.27 when I pulled my console.

Without a doubt the short shifter is in my top three favorite mods in a DD. Zero downside, other than I really wish mine came with the white B&M knob. Not a day goes by that I don't go mmmmmmmm...

• USA Proud
Reactions: RINC
I don't have a BL, but I do have the B&M. Got mine brand new on Marketplace in a sealed box for $125 and a box of Mike-n-Ikes. I would think the shorter throw (and it's a whole lot shorter) would prevent the shifter from hitting the boot trim. Advantage if you're doing the BL. Install was super easy and I found $0.27 when I pulled my console.

Without a doubt the short shifter is in my top three favorite mods in a DD. Zero downside, other than I really wish mine came with the white B&M knob. Not a day goes by that I don't go mmmmmmmm...
:LOL: (y)

Reactions: MikekiM and RINC
After reading a lot of great things about the B and M short shifter for the TJ I’m about to pull the trigger. My only question is will this work with my 1 inch body lift. I don’t see it causes any problems but just wanted to see if anybody’s here is running a similar set up

I have the B&M short shifter in my TJ with a 1 inch body lift. It works great, but you will loose an excuse to fondle the girlfriends leg when shifting into reverse.

• Haha
Reactions: MikekiM and RINC
I have the B&M short shifter in my TJ with a 1 inch body lift. It works great, but you will loose an excuse to fondle the girlfriends leg when shifting into reverse.

Yours fit without banking into the console? I had to remove the shift boot bezel, and loosen the center console to even shift into the back 3 gears … no bueno … I sent it back

I have a 1.25" BL and the ultra high UCF TT.
I used to hit switches on my dash until I installed the B&M shifter.
Would definitely install again ...

Reactions: MikekiM