Has your exhaust manifold cracked yet? Here is a fix

Aftermarket one-piece headers with the flex joints are easily found and most hold up well. Just look to see that they have the two flex joints like shown below. eBay has them, be sure to read all of the reviews before choosing one.

HeadersWithJointsCircled.JPG

Every one I've replaced had the flexible bellows. It seems like the welds give out.
If you put a section of flex pipe where the ehaust pipe goes past the oil pan the engine and header can flex together. I'm generating 325 ft lbs of torque on the dyno and my competition header isn't cracking.

If you put a section of flex pipe where the ehaust pipe goes past the oil pan the engine and header can flex together. I'm generating 325 ft lbs of torque on the dyno and my competition header isn't cracking.
I'm definitely going to give this a shot as soon I put a new one on.

So far I haven't found a manifold with flexible bellows that last any longer than two years. Adding the coupling seems like it might solve the issue.

The effective torque trying to make the motor spin in the bay is much more than that, as its multiplied by the transmission and transfer case.

For those with regular manifold breakage it wouldn't hurt to make sure you have good motor mounts, as worn out ones will allow more movement.

I agree, but I can drop the clutch at 3,000 rpm and pull the front wheels. If that doesn't crack or break something, what will? I'm not trying to be a smart ass or a braggart, and my suspension is only about 2 inches up and down. But the bottom line is, I'm not cracking headers anymore. There is more than one solution to most problems, the trick is to find out which is right for your situation.

I have a rebuilt AX 15 5 speed trans and a Dana 44 rear axle with 4.88 gears. Chad Golen built my engine as a stroker with many amenities to increase power. My camshaft peaks at 5,200 rpm and the balanced, blueprinted engine can easily handle it. If I had it to do over again I would haved dropped a smallblock chevy engine in it but I don't.

We're all Jeepers here and that will inevitably mean we take different paths to the same destination. See you there and I will likely admire what you have done!

Last edited:
I agree, but I can drop the clutch at 3,000 rpm and pull the front wheels. If that doesn't crack or break something, what will?

My point is more for those with a tired stock motor, or maybe with ultra-low tcase

I agree, but I can drop the clutch at 3,000 rpm and pull the front wheels. If that doesn't crack or break something, what will? I'm not trying to be a smart ass or a braggart, and my suspension is only about 2 inches up and down.
Video or it didn’t happen! And how did you lose 4” of the stock 8” travel on the suspension?

Video or it didn’t happen! And how did you lose 4” of the stock 8” travel on the suspension?
Working on the video, and I would guess by doing the total lift myself. The heavy coil springs all the way around likely had a lot to do with it. Then there is the slip yoke eliminator, the telescoping driveshafts, 4.88 gears, 315x18x12 tires, 2 1/2" totally non restrictive exhaust., the 68 mm throttle body with 26 lb fuel injectors, adjustable rockers and the off road only PCM.

But what I honestly think put this old girl in the 300 hp range was those cool graphics on the doors and spare tire cover! Wanna race? Funny, but when I told Chad Golen (Golen Engines) it pulled the front wheels from a 5 mph punch he wasn't surprised at all. If I hit 2nd gear just right it likely does it again. I'm telling the truth in a playful manner, but you know what worries me?

If there is only 2 or 3 inches travel in the suspension at the front bumper, what kind of strain is that putting on that AX 15 5 speed transmission and the Dana 44 rear end? Then there are the drive shfts and the universal joints. Am I gonna screw around and break something that is going to be a high dollar fix? Opinions welcome from voices of experience.

Working on the video, and I would guess by doing the total lift myself. The heavy coil springs all the way around likely had a lot to do with it. Then there is the slip yoke eliminator, the telescoping driveshafts, 4.88 gears, 315x18x12 tires, 2 1/2" totally non restrictive exhaust., the 68 mm throttle body with 26 lb fuel injectors, adjustable rockers and the off road only PCM.

But what I honestly think put this old girl in the 300 hp range was those cool graphics on the doors and spare tire cover! Wanna race? Funny, but when I told Chad Golen (Golen Engines) it pulled the front wheels from a 5 mph punch he wasn't surprised at all. If I hit 2nd gear just right it likely does it again. I'm telling the truth in a playful manner, but you know what worries me?

If there is only 2 or 3 inches travel in the suspension at the front bumper, what kind of strain is that putting on that AX 15 5 speed transmission and the Dana 44 rear end? Then there are the drive shfts and the universal joints. Am I gonna screw around and break something that is going to be a high dollar fix? Opinions welcome from voices of experience.

Do you have a rear locker?

If you really wanna pull a wheely load a couple fat friends in the back. Or fill the spare tire with water. Or both! Just make sure to take video

I have a rear locker, but the rear is full of amp and bass. Not even room for a seat! The suspension, the tires, the gear ratio and the torque. It was built to pull the front wheels. If it didn't, something would have to break. Wanna know what's keeping me from submitting a video or pic? Background, when showing off your Jeep it means everything. There is nothing scenic around Rock Hill, SC.. But I will find something within an hour's drive.

I have probably already asked this on another thread, but are there any manifolds with flex bellows for a 97 2.5L? I don't think so, but wanted to double-check.

Edit: Probably not, because it looks like the flex bellows were only added for cylinders 1 and 6. I'm betting the 4-cylinder 2.5Ls just don't have that same problem?

Last edited: