Hauling oversized items in a pickup

Jeffreybomb

Póg mo thóin!
Supporting Member
I have an F150 with a 6 1/2’ bed, roughly 8’ with the door down.

Is there a way for me to safely haul 16’ 2x4 lumber?

How many 16’ 2x4s?

Regardless of the answer keep this in mind.

They have to stand 4" tall not 4" wide.
You will need some weight on them near the cab to make that end heavier than what is sticking out.
A red flag much be attached to the end.
Check your state law to see if they have a maximum length anything can hang out the back.

Reactions: Jeffreybomb
How many 16’ 2x4s?

Regardless of the answer keep this in mind.

They have to stand 4" tall not 4" wide.
You will need some weight on them near the cab to make that end heavier than what is sticking out.
A red flag much be attached to the end.
Check your state law to see if they have a maximum length anything can hang out the back.
Hi, I don't know how to send private messages so I apologize for hijacking this thread. I saw your TJ on your profile picture and it looks like you have 16" wheels. Would you mind sharing your tire size and lift set up? I like it a lot.

Thank You!

I used one of these racks for hauling 14’ pieces for a deer stand in my 5.5’ bed. Worked great on a three hour drive.

589835.jpg

https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/589835-lund-trailer-hitch-rack-truck-bed-extender.html

Last edited:
I had to haul a 16' tall extension ladder a while back. I also drive a 2005 Chevy Avalanche that has an 8' bed. I dropped the boat in the water & used the boat trailer.

I had to get some 16" boards a few years ago for my barn... I loaded them in the bed w/ the tailgate dropped, ran a strap around the tailgate and over the boards so they were strapped in the middle, and bought four 60lb bags of gravel and piled them on top of the boards at the front of the bed. It was a pretty redneck rig but I'm only across town from the lumber yard. Did it on a lazy Sunday with no traffic.

Probably not a legit solution if you have any great distance to cover.

Another thought, if this isn't going to be a recurring need you can probably just rent a trailer for half of what that tailgate contraption costs.

A0DECEC7-F360-4DC0-B456-13445A0A4DB2.jpeg

Thanks @Apparition!

I didn’t end up going with 16’ boards: the 16’ PT lumber at the store was so warped and twisted that I could’ve used it to uncork a wine bottle. I ended up bringing home 12’ boards instead.

The bed extender served its purpose and I’m definitely happy with the investment!

View attachment 143691
Thanks @Apparition!

I didn’t end up going with 16’ boards: the 16’ PT lumber at the store was so warped and twisted that I could’ve used it to uncork a wine bottle. I ended up bringing home 12’ boards instead.

The bed extender served its purpose and I’m definitely happy with the investment!
It’s a handy versatile tool to have. I even mounted a tire changer on the hitch extension at one point, gave me a solid base to use.

Reactions: Jeffreybomb