Having trouble removing rusted shock bolts

AaronPaul

TJ Enthusiast
Ok guys as you can see from the pics below I’m trying to remove the 3 bolts for the shocks on my 2000 TJ. But as you can see they are pretty rusted. I’ve already blasted them with PB. The top nut I can spin but it spins the entire piece and is not unthreading. The bottom two I can barely get a wrench to grab.
I’m limited in tools but open to all suggestions. Thank you much

B5096EB7-863A-42A7-905F-856208281090.jpeg

2F4A034F-7324-4292-B8CD-157C5781AED0.jpeg

639B752C-5CA0-476C-9FCD-62AB96F96B0C.jpeg

27BD8D7E-0C64-47BF-AA87-40F608E3D330.png

You'll likely need to cut the upper stem apart which means it's time for new shocks. Yay! Use a saws-all or cutoff wheel just below the nut on top. The bottom bolts have a nut on the underside of the lower mount. You should be able to get a deep well socket on those from underneath. If they won't budge for you they should snap without too much effort and you can replace those with new hardware when you install the new shocks. Good luck, and remember you're not the first person to struggle with these. :rolleyes:

You'll likely need to cut the upper stem apart which means it's time for new shocks. Yay! Use a saws-all or cutoff wheel just below the nut on top. The bottom bolts have a nut on the underside of the lower mount. You should be able to get a deep well socket on those from underneath. If they won't budge for you they should snap without too much effort and you can replace those with new hardware when you install the new shocks. Good luck, and remember you're not the first person to struggle with these. :rolleyes:
Thank you I appreciate it. If I wanted to “snap” off the bottoms how on earth would I do that?

Make sure the socket is well seated on the bottom side nut. Tap it into place to make sure that rust isn't getting inyour way. Do the same on the top side with another socket. Grab ahold of both sides and twist that sucker apart. If memory serves me, you're only dealing with an 8mm fastener. It won't take much to snap it off and the corrosion will only make your task easier.

Reactions: JMT
Well the top nut spins but it won’t unthread from the bolt. The whole damn piece moves. I’ve tried the bottom underside nuts but ill try again.

Read post #2 again. You could try some heat but in my experience you're going to end up with the saw. What is your aversion to cutting the threaded shaft?

Read post #2 again. You could try some heat but in my experience you're going to end up with the saw. What is your aversion to cutting the threaded shaft?
Oh I’ll cut the sucker off I just have to buy the tool. I’m just not certain how I’d cut the bottom two off

Kroil has been known to work wonders. Kroil + heat, almost unstoppable.

If putting a wrench/socket on the top nut causes the shock to just spin, put a pipe wrench on shock.

Reactions: JMT and AaronPaul
For the lower bolts use a extended 13mm socket. Swivel sockets and crowfoot style attachments come in handy. You can also break them or cut them out, or try a powerful impact.

For the top nut if not reusing shocks don't bother trying to remove it if its very stuck or corroded. After removing the lower bolts simply grab the shock and lift it towards yourself snapping the shaft in half.

If you want to save the shocks try an impact from above through the engine bay. You will have to remove the airbox and cruise control motor.

Reactions: JMT and AaronPaul
I’ve tried it. The shock itself won’t spin but the bolt still does
You have to put vise-grips on the shock shaft under the plastic cover, not the body. Only do that if you plan on throwing them away. Your rear shock upper bolts will snap off without even trying.:( Use these to make replacing the nuts much easier.

Bar pin flag nut.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Zorba