Hazard lights go berserk after upgrading LED flasher

YellowTJ2001

Hi, I upgraded my all my lights (front, turn, fog and rear) with LED lights. Looks great, great output too. Because LED has less resistance, the OEM flasher assumes a rear light is broken, and flashes the turn signals at like 4x speed. So I installed a LED flasher, which solves the problem, so turn signal blinking is back to normal.

So far so good.

However, when I turn on the hazard switch, the LED flasher goes berserk and flashes at like dozens times per second.

Does anyone have had the same experience and found a solution?
I ordered a second LED flasher but it does exactly the same, so I ruled out a defect flasher.
Also checked all the wiring, and all lights function as they should and ground wiring is fine too.

I’m thinking about several solutions:

1) Find a LED flasher that also does normal hazard lights (if it is available at all)
2) Replace the hazard lights switch which supports the LED flasher (if it is available at all)
3) Add a resistance to the rear light wiring to mimic the old school lights, and install the old OEM flasher (which is quite the bit of work)

Thanks for the help. This forum has been great so far.

IMG_6895.jpeg

IMG_7126.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi, I upgraded my all my lights (front, turn, fog and rear) with LED lights. Looks great, great output too. Because LED has less resistance, the OEM flasher assumes a rear light is broken, and flashes the turn signals at like 4x speed. So I installed a LED flasher, which solves the problem, so turn signal blinking is back to normal.

So far so good.

However, when I turn on the hazard switch, the LED flasher goes berserk and flashes at like dozens times per second.

Does anyone have had the same experience and found a solution?
I ordered a second LED flasher but it does exactly the same, so I ruled out a defect flasher.
Also checked all the wiring, and all lights function as they should and ground wiring is fine too.

I’m thinking about several solutions:

1) Find a LED flasher that also does normal hazard lights (if it is available at all)
2) Replace the hazard lights switch which supports the LED flasher (if it is available at all)
3) Add a resistance to the rear light wiring to mimic the old school lights, and install the old OEM flasher (which is quite the bit of work)

Thanks for the help. This forum has been great so far.

View attachment 510198

View attachment 510199

Which model year is your Jeep and what flasher have you been trying?

I would start by removing each of the front and rear turn signal bulbs one at a time and see if the hyper flashing stops which will identify which bulb or bulb receptacle is causing the problem.

Jeep Wrangler TJ 2001. I tried two different 5-Pin EP27 FL27 Auto Flasher Relais Decoder, 12V.

View attachment 510377

EP27 is the wrong one to use for your model year. Try a Novita EP26. 97-01 need EP26 and 02-06 need LM470 for use with LED lights.

And do the troubleshooting that @CharlesHS is suggesting after you change the flasher.

Last edited:
Check for a pinched or cut wire - very easy to overlook when putting in new lights, will cause all kinds of weird problems though. I speak from experience - installed LED's for the tail lights, had all kinds of crazy hazard problems. Replaced the flasher with a digital one, same issues but slightly different. Replaced the turn signal switch assembly, same problems. Ended up realizing after I took everything back apart that while I was wasting time one day cleaning up the crappy crimp on connectors I had to the front turn signals I pinched a wire between the headlight housing and the grill, shorting it out.

EP27 is the wrong one to use for your model year. Try a Novita EP26. 97-01 need EP26 and 02-06 need LM470 for use with LED lights.

And do the troubleshooting that @CharlesHS is suggesting after you change the flasher.

Thank you for this - we have a '04 and the Novita LM470 fixed our issue with both tail lights / front signal lights and the hazard lights. I picked one up locally from autozone.

Reactions: psrivats
I don't think that's correct. The Novita EP26 has 4 pins, the 2001 has a 5 pin flasher.

I am not sure what is happening with your Jeep, but if you need a 5 pin flasher, get a Novita LM470.

Ep27 is never the right option for a TJ.