Headlight Switch Part Two

MikeO

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
So, everything in switching out the switch went easily, but as I pulled off the old part, I saw this (see pic).
My question is, could this (short? / arch?) be caused by the old part I removed, so I can just install the new part and all is good, or is this a job for an expert? (I hate electrical problems!)

IMG_0853.jpeg

Hard to say for sure. It could be caused by the old switch, but it cold also be caused by a short in the wire, bad relay, etc.

I wouldn't worry about any other problems. Replace the switch and the connector. If the new setup doesn't blow a fuse and everything works, you're good.

I wouldn't worry about any other problems. Replace the switch and the connector. If the new setup doesn't blow a fuse and everything works, you're good.

Thanks. I fashioned a rubber gasket and sandwiched it between switch and connector for now. It’s working. I’m guessing the dealer is the place to get the connector replaced as it is not a snap in, but requires some wiring. Thanks a lot for your help. I actually happy that this is not a electrical puzzle that needs solving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chris
Thanks. I fashioned a rubber gasket and sandwiched it between switch and connector for now. It’s working. I’m guessing the dealer is the place to get the connector replaced as it is not a snap in, but requires some wiring. Thanks a lot for your help. I actually happy that this is not a electrical puzzle that needs solving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't have done that. Your original photo showed the connector burned enough to bubble the plastic. A lot of amperage goes through there and with the connector not being flat it could arc and cause a fire.

I would buy a new connector and splice it in. It's only 9 colored coded wires I think. It would be a simple job.

I wouldn't have done that. Your original photo showed the connector burned enough to bubble the plastic. A lot of amperage goes through there and with the connector not being flat it could arc and cause a fire.

I would buy a new connector and splice it in. It's only 9 colored coded wires I think. It would be a simple job.
Agreed. I already found one on Amazon for $45. I'm going to check O'reilly's too. I just have to figure out best way to splice: Crimp, shrink wrap, both? Thanks.

I would use crimp splices as long as you use proper splices and the proper crimp tool. I would also stagger the splices so the bundle isn't too thick and cover each splice with heat shrink to make them water tight and give them a little more flexibility.

Got the connector from O'reilly's, $45. The wires were actually color coded correctly which helped. Used crimp splices with shrink. Everything works! (Now there's just that nagging feeling that if my work wasn't perfect, when I least expect it, Jeep and I go up like a '71 Ford Pinto... Time will tell.) Thanks everyone.

(Now there's just that nagging feeling that if my work wasn't perfect, when I least expect it, Jeep and I go up like a '71 Ford Pinto... Time will tell.) Thanks everyone.

It would take a heck of a lot to go up in flames like a rear ended Pinto. Heck, considering there were over 3 million Pintos sold, the percentage that burned is somewhere around 3/100 of a percent. The Pontiac Fieros, on the other hand, randomly caught fire for various reasons including potential electrical issues and their percentage is over double that at close to 7/100 of a percent.

I don't think you'll have any problems but if you do I'm hoping your Jeep doesn't end up like a Fiero.

It would take a heck of a lot to go up in flames like a rear ended Pinto. Heck, considering there were over 3 million Pintos sold, the percentage that burned is somewhere around 3/100 of a percent. The Pontiac Fieros, on the other hand, randomly caught fire for various reasons including potential electrical issues and their percentage is over double that at close to 7/100 of a percent.

I don't think you'll have any problems but if you do I'm hoping your Jeep doesn't end up like a Fiero.
Ha, Thanks.

So, everything in switching out the switch went easily, but as I pulled off the old part, I saw this (see pic).
My question is, could this (short? / arch?) be caused by the old part I removed, so I can just install the new part and all is good, or is this a job for an expert? (I hate electrical problems!)

View attachment 60211
Hi MikeO, I'm wondering if you changed anything electrical

Hi MikeO,
I'm wondering if you changed anything electrical prior to the issue? I'm asking because I just discovered the same issue with my switch/plug. I changed out my insturment panel lights to LED a week earlier. I caught a potent whiff of something, but I thought it was something with the heater core. I'm thinking I might want to switch back to standard bulbs before I replace the switch and harness.

Hi MikeO, I'm wondering if you changed anything electrical

Hi MikeO,
I'm wondering if you changed anything electrical prior to the issue? I'm asking because I just discovered the same issue with my switch/plug. I changed out my insturment panel lights to LED a week earlier. I caught a potent whiff of something, but I thought it was something with the heater core. I'm thinking I might want to switch back to standard bulbs before I replace the switch and harness.
Hi DHH,
No, I had done nothing new electrically, although, I did get that whiff of burning wire the day before the lights started to short out. I don't think it's your LEDs. In fact, just to lower the amps going through that switch I went all LED. I'm feeling pretty good about it now. The LED headlights lowered the amperage significantly, but I chaned everthing out, except the instrument panel lights. It was a pain splicing in the 9 wires of the new connector, but not impossible.

I always disconnect the battery when I work on electric. I'm sure you do as well. Just thought I'd mention it.