Heater core / heater box foam gaskets

AussieNick

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I am replacing my heater core and have everything ready to put back together. I don’t have any gaskets or oem foam and everything needs replacing because it all crumbled. Can I use any foam or is their a recommended product for this?

8BED6514-DD7E-40FE-B495-AA9CA259803F.jpeg

You should be able to use any foam. Just get some foam strips and cut them to size, that's what I would do.

Lowes sells foam that on the package shows using it to help seal around an A/C window unit. From my memory, it felt and looked the same as what was around the heater core. You could cut it to fit.

If you're needing the foam for the firewall where the core tubes go through, I'd look for some dense foam so it seals out water better.

Anything will work. Hardware store weatherstripping is likely the cheapest.
I ended up using leftover upholstery foam in some places and weather stripping from the auto store in other places, especially at the firewall. It looks pretty good and tight but certainly not water proof for a river crossing :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: MountaineerTom
In the process of replacing my heater core, am I cool to just use some adhesive spray and reuse the foam seals on the HVAC box or should I be replacing them? Biggest one I’m wondering about is the one around the heater hoses, didn’t come off super nice. Other ones are fine other than being well formed into shape.
Just don’t wanna be leaking any air.
IMG_1381.jpeg

In the process of replacing my heater core, am I cool to just use some adhesive spray and reuse the foam seals on the HVAC box or should I be replacing them? Biggest one I’m wondering about is the one around the heater hoses, didn’t come off super nice. Other ones are fine other than being well formed into shape.
Just don’t wanna be leaking any air.
View attachment 481625

Should be able to spray glue the firewall seal back to the box. Around the heater cores I use weatherstripping tape, double it up if needed on the top and bottom to make sure the heater core to box area is sealed. Around the box seam, I use strip caulk to seal the two halves of the box together.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002FYIOFC/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Reactions: James9100