Heater core help

BoldlyGoing

TJ Addict
I'm nearly through disassembling this thing to get the Hvac system out, but something in the area directly behind the block is stopping me from pulling the whole housing.

we've got all 5 of the mounting nuts off, all hoses disconnected, and it feels like there's one more, but I can't find it.

Any ideas? 06 Unlimited

I'm gearing up to do mine soon, so I remember recently reading about the fact that the plenum (plasting thing that directs air behind the head) has 2 nuts. One that you can see and another behind it. Could that be it?

Otherwise, use the force.

I'm gearing up to do mine soon, so I remember recently reading about the fact that the plenum (plasting thing that directs air behind the head) has 2 nuts. One that you can see and another behind it. Could that be it?

Otherwise, use the force.
That piece is completely loose- if you mean the duct that blows for defrost. But that's the right area. Something there is preventing me from pulling it out. Really feels like another screw/nut

The piece with 2 nuts holds the cowl drain.

There is a screw on the inside, near the fuse block that stumped me.

1574461207259.png

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/another-heater-core-replacement-and-a-c-evap-core.15568/

Reactions: DirtyD
The piece with 2 nuts holds the cowl drain.

There is a screw on the inside, near the fuse block that stumped me.

View attachment 126113

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/another-heater-core-replacement-and-a-c-evap-core.15568/
Got those- this feels like if you drew a straight line from the gear shift to the back of the block. Right there SOMETHING is holding it.

are there maybe 6 nuts to remove? If so I can't find a 6th.

I can see something go in to the firewal, but nothing coming out the other side

Completely remove that plastic cowl drain thingy. There is another nut behind it down low.

I can't think of anything else that would be holding it. When you took the nuts off behind the valve cover, did you have to remove one nut, then remove the cowl drain, then remove another nut that was behind the cowl drain? That's how mine was set up.

The 5 studs, drain and heater core/evap core and vacuum line are the only things that should be going through the firewall.

1574461905882.png

The part you circled is the drain. It just sits in the firewall hole.

It's held on by the studs sticking thru the firewall. Just give it a tug and wiggle it off the studs.

Alright- sobered up now.

Replaced the heater hoses since the old were looking a little rough. Replaced the coolant, and fired her up.

currently in the driver's seat enjoying delightful warm air!

air positions switch works, blend door works, and fan speeds all work.

I do have 3 screws left over that I can't find homes for and then there's this twisted metal wire thing. I have no idea where it came from as I don't recall removing it. Any ideas?

far as I can tell, if I manage to refill the AC without incident, I will have successfully done this job without making anything worse

8BDFBBF8-8D88-4D37-B9AC-CF17E221AA84.jpeg

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Ugh. I'm smelling coolant from the heater. I'm going to have to bite the bullet and do this soon.

I used to work on Toyotas for a living. You know how easy some of their heater core / evaporators were to replace? You only had to take out the glove box and then they just slid out. It was amazing.