Heater Core Replacement Suggestions?

Igoo65

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I did a search on this subject, but was coming up empty. About 8 months ago I replaced the heater core in my 97 TJ and last week it started leaking again. I had to go with a Spectra brand heater core from Napa, because I couldn't find a Mopar one. My question is, has anyone had any success with a particular aftermarket brand heater core. I really don't want to use a Spectra again if I can help it.
Thanks,
Igoo65

I ordered a few different brands at once when I did this and they all looked equally as flimsy. Went with the Spectra, but don’t expect it to last very long.

Reactions: Igoo65
I may try a Crown unit next, unless someone pops up with a better brand. I was pretty disappointed in the Spectra brand. I can get my money back for it, but that doesn't count the 6 hours it took me to replace it. :mad:

The OE Mopar one isn't even made by Mopar, it's made by someone else, which for the life of me, I can't remember. They say "made in France" on them. I'm hoping the name comes to me as I bought a spare Mopar one a while back.

The OE Mopar one isn't even made by Mopar, it's made by someone else, which for the life of me, I can't remember. They say "made in France" on them. I'm hoping the name comes to me as I bought a spare Mopar one a while back.
FIAT?

Edit: never mind. That's Italy, not France.

Valeo or Valero, or something similar.

Reactions: Chris
@Mr. Bills How long have you had the heater core, that you listed above, in your Jeep? I am trying to decide between the one you suggested and the one that @Davidtj had posted. I sure don't want to do this again!

Not quite a year. Not long enough for a long term report.

So far, so good. It works as it should.

Any one have any experience with this one from Omix-ADA it's for the 97 to 01
1570158070786.png

https://www.extremeterrain.com/omix-ada-heater-core-tj-1790104.html

I called Extreme Terrain and they show a copper heater core, but they only sell the aluminum ones.
So it's not quite bait and switch but close. I just looked closer at the description and it says "steel".... yet they told you aluminium... :unsure:

I ponied up for a Brassworx one and it was absolutely outrageously expensive and doesn’t put out very much heat. It is a different design with flat tubes like a radiator instead of the coil type that the Oem one was. Whatever the cause, I’m not very happy with it.