Heater issue on 2001 TJ

@Goatman for what it's worth, I thought the same thing. It shouldn't matter which way the hoses are connected to the heater core on our TJs. My guess is that if it solved a no heat issue, then switching the hoses blew out some restriction that was impeding flow.

The OPs issue seems to be electrical, dealing with a blower motor that isn't spinning so I agree with your statement of working backwards from the blower motor to determine if voltage is present. However, don't underestimate the effects of voltage drop based on damaged or aged wiring
Nope, u are wrong too. Nothing electrical. Water was not being passed thru the tubing correctly. Look at the FSM pic. Plumbing physics are pictured there. The blockage was the thermostat. 😏

Nope, u are wrong too. Nothing electrical. Water was not being passed thru the tubing correctly. Look at the FSM pic. Plumbing physics are pictured there. The blockage was the thermostat. 😏

OP means Original Poster. Their issue is with a blower motor not spinning Read the first post again.
It says "no fan blowing" So that is an electrical issue. Unless, of course you (or your mechanic) thinks the heater hose is restricting the blower motor.

Placement of heater hoses will not change the direction of flow of the system. It only changes what side of the heater core the coolant enters and leaves from. The heater core has no valves that restrict flow one way or the other and the minimal difference in size of the ports would have very minimal effect on how much heat the heater core would provide to air being passed thru it's fins. So unless you can show us how the heater core affects the direction of flow, I stand by the comments made by myself and @Goatman

• Love
Reactions: Goatman
OP means Original Poster. Their issue is with a blower motor not spinning Read the first post again.
It says "no fan blowing" So that is an electrical issue. Unless, of course you (or your mechanic) thinks the heater hose is restricting the blower motor.

Placement of heater hoses will not change the direction of flow of the system. It only changes what side of the heater core the coolant enters and leaves from. The heater core has no valves that restrict flow one way or the other and the minimal difference in size of the ports would have very minimal effect on how much heat the heater core would provide to air being passed thru it's fins. So unless you can show us how the heater core affects the direction of flow, I stand by the comments made by myself and @Goatman
Wow. Let it go. It’s ok to be wrong every once in a while. I know what op means. I understand what he was saying. My point is I had no heat. NONE WHATS SO EVER. I used to. But not anymore. After checking everything I went to the fsm. It clearly states the flow from thermostat and water pump. Once I reversed what the mechanic did and plumbed the heater core the CORRECT way all my problems went away. I had heat and no more coolant smell coming from under my passenger side air box. Believe what y’all want. I tend to believe what the TJ FSM says. Doing it y’all’s way does NOT work. Doing the FSM way, works like a charm! Before y’all respond with more useless advise. Reverse your own hoses and see. This will be my last post on this matter.

@Mike Gibbs additionally, the first issue I dealt with on TJ#1 was a complete heater core blockage. However, this did not cause any other issues than no heat. Why? Because the cooling path to the heater core is a separate coolant path than the main engine coolant. If that is blocked, the system will still continue to flow coolant thru the radiator, the block, the thermostat, and the water pump. If you had an excess pressure issue. It was not due to the heater hoses being connected to the heater core incorrectly.

I believe my so called system was to say that the correct way to put the hoses is to put the hoses the correct way.
That the hoses were installed the wrong way is the wrong way to install them
BUT a heater core dosen't give a 💩 which way coolant flows thru it. Like a window dosen't care which way you look thru it.
The fact that you changed direction of flow through the heater core in no way changes the way the water pump turns.
I'm pretty sure the FSM won't counterdict what I just said.

Reactions: TrueTexas
I figured out the problem. The connector to the resistor controls melted. I found from other videos that it is not that uncommon. I replaced the hvac control panel but am having trouble finding the new connector. Does anyone know what this piece is called or have a part number?

jeep connector pic 2.jpg

jeep connector pic 1.jpg