Heater woes (solved)

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Ahhhh...the mode selector switch plug! Not that I've ever experienced, or even thought that, it would be the exact problem. Even though seems to be, it could really just be the result of something wrong with the the mode selector switch itself or even something else. Hard to tell. I'm not sure what it will take to replace that plug but if you get one and succeed at replacing it, try to get it together just enough to use it and check to see if it's heating up while in use before putting it all back together.

Weird. Somehow I see a post around 9:20 and decide to answer it. I post around 9:30 and when I do reply I see a couple of posts from 8:10 that I didn't see when I started.

It may very well be me that's not seeing something but either way, I'm glad you found the info about it being a fairly common problem and KCsTJ complimenting you on locating the problem.

All I have left to say is get that thing fixed and back on, oops I mean off the road.

Reactions: Umbra and KCsTJ
Update for future reference:
I ordered the above replacement plug. It's pretty simple, and you are just assembling the plug. The difficult part is that you don't have a lot of wire coming out of the harness to work with (unless you are willing to pull everything apart and make a serious mess behind the dash). You also have to be careful splicing the wire and assembling the plug since the gauges (size) of the wires match but the colors don't. Harness uses green/ green black/ black...replacement wires are purple and green.
I also soldered the connections and used shrink tubing on everything, then taped it all back up.
Fan blows, air warms and cools.
Fixt.
However, when the plug melted, it damaged the vacuum selector switch so I'll be replacing that as well when it gets here. It is running on heat/defrost. It will turn off and on, just can't switch settings.

Mopar part # 5013833AA $40 from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004E3D66E/?tag=wranglerorg-20

It was a PITA, but I will more or less have an all new HVAC system for around $175. Blower, relay, plug, resistor, vacuum switch. Hopefully will last another 20 years

I love TJs.

My advice would be: For anyone who hasn't replaced their blower since new, I would do that now. For $45 and 30 minutes, you can save yourself some trouble. I've read a ton of stuff saying that a fan getting old is what usually sets off the dominoes in the whole system.

Reactions: KCsTJ
BTW, here's a handy vid on replacing the vacuum switch. You can also see how little wire you have to work with if you have to replace that plug.

Last edited: