Heating problems: Please help!

Found this on another forum, it might be helpful:

I was getting good cold air but could never get any hot air. I knew it was the blend door but thought it was one of those vacum canister activated plastic levers that was bad. All checked out good. So did the resistor and control knobs!

After much reading and a few hours of troubleshooting I finally was able to get my heaterworking again. The blend door actuator was inoperable so I ordered a new one from Amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FOOU6HE/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I decided to look inside and what I found is the motor was seized. All I did was spray some contact cleaner in it and turned it and let is dry. Hooked 12 volts up and away she went! I let the motor run for a few minutes to let it clean the armature bushing up.

In California a heater is rarely used so it probably wise to turn the heater once in while just to exercise the motor.

When taking the actuator apart make sure you mark the alignment of the gears so you won't have to fiddle with it. (Trust me! LOL)

The motor just slides up and you do not need to move the screw on the top. It would have been very easy to rebuild the little motor should it burned up or was in worse condition.

I promptly went to the Jeep dealer and cancelled the order and got my $145 back. Whew!

Blend Door Actuator is located just to the right of the transmission tunnel:
DSC_0031.jpg

Inside of actuator:
DSC_0028.jpg

Reactions: 97jeeptj
Howdy, I'm in Northeast Indiana so I sympathize about the zero temps!! This is a long shot but take a look inside the ductwork for the heater core. I once had a problem getting the heat to work on my car. I tried all the things on your list with no results. It finally turned out that a mouse had packed the heater core with mouse nest so badly that the blower couldn't really force much air through the core. It was a real puzzler because everything checked out. Once I cleaned out the mouse trash things worked fine. Good luck

Thank you
As far as the blend door!
I don’t have an electric blend door
I have a cable driven blend door
My heat crontrols are not a knob it is a slide lever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a shot in the dark here. Most ac/heater vent doors work on a vacuum, if this is true with the Jeep, it could have a dry rotted vac line, they can be hard to find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually cut into my hvac box to repair the blend door then covered the hole with that aluminum tape. It's been working ever since.