Heavy sputtering and almost stall at start

Kelly F.

I've been having an issue lately with my jeep running poorly at start up, heavy sputter and stall out or nearly stalls. However, once I rev it several times that clears the issue and runs fine, drives fine, no issues at stop and restart same day.

I did change the fuel pump about 7 months ago, the issue only started about 6 weeks ago. I assume the 2 are related , any help or suggestions is appreciated.
I'll be dropping the tank this afternoon to check for pinched/cracked lines.

I am curious if the hard start and sputter be an evap issue? It was throwing that code, but after a Mopar cap install the code cleared itself.

I would check fuel pressure for sure, but depending on how you're defining "sputtering," it could be that your IAC needs a good cleaning.

Reactions: CreepinDeth
This might a symptom you are getting of fuel vaporizing in your third injector due to heat causing it to misfire at start up. Does it happen after a drive in hot temperatures? Same thing is happened to me this summer when temps started going 90+. The fix for this specific problem is insulation which wraps around the wiring for injector 3. I haven't done it yet but will soon.

This might a symptom you are getting of fuel vaporizing in your third injector due to heat causing it to misfire at start up. Does it happen after a drive in hot temperatures? Same thing is happened to me this summer when temps started going 90+. The fix for this specific problem is insulation which wraps around the wiring for injector 3. I haven't done it yet but will soon.

It only happens at start up, I was wondering if it was heat lock. It started when the temps here started to rise for the summer.

I would check fuel pressure for sure, but depending on how you're defining "sputtering," it could be that your IAC needs a good cleaning.

I'll check the IAC, I've cleaned it many times with idle issues last year.
If I don't rev it high and try to drive the Jeep jerks hard at low acceleration. Makes me think it's not getting enough fuel for sure. But I'm still learning as I go.

Anymore diagnostics? Im having the same issue. Wants to stall/doesnt fire up smoothly, sputters on startup. Not always the cold start, but a restart after a longer drive when engine is still warm.
Should I be cleaning or replacing lines? And whelich ones?? 😱

I got the same issue

I was told to clean the IAC, but that didnt resolve it for me. I got all new IAC and other sensors hanging off throttle body off Rock Auto. Still gotta get them in on the next nice warm day

I have a feeling its related to the turbo in some way. Mabee a faulty turbo is causing this somehow. Something about changing the tube on the turbo because of a air leak on the turbo discharge… idk but im not impressed with this jeep. I had the same identical jeep before, that I traded in because of death wobble. It felt like it had way more power comming from the turbo. This new jeep I got feels sluggish, the fuel economy is far worse, and theres this sputtering happening…

I have a feeling its related to the turbo in some way. Mabee a faulty turbo is causing this somehow. Something about changing the tube on the turbo because of a air leak on the turbo discharge… idk but im not impressed with this jeep. I had the same identical jeep before, that I traded in because of death wobble. It felt like it had way more power comming from the turbo. This new jeep I got feels sluggish, the fuel economy is far worse, and theres this sputtering happening…

Are you asking a question about your JL? You're probably going to have better luck on the JL forums. Your jeep uses technology that low key frightens us.

But when I hear symptoms like wants to stall on a cold start I would be looking at IAC & fuel pressure. If it happens when you go into gear I'd be thinking the torque converter is draining back and you're putting it into gear before its fully charged.

Are you asking a question about your JL? You're probably going to have better luck on the JL forums. Your jeep uses technology that low key frightens us.

But when I hear symptoms like wants to stall on a cold start I would be looking at IAC & fuel pressure. If it happens when you go into gear I'd be thinking the torque converter is draining back and you're putting it into gear before its fully charged.

Ok yea I didn’t realize this was tj forum. My bad. Thabks for the reply. I wish I had a TJ. I agree with you. Last good jeep made was the JK. And I shouldnt have gotten rid of it. These JLs are fuckin junk man.

• Haha
Reactions: hear