Hello From California

EBW

Supporting Member
Hello all.

I've had a few Jeeps in my past, a CJ5 and CJ7 as well as a Willys Overland Wagon. As with most, life makes us do things and those unfortunately are all Long Gone.

Fast forward to now, I just purchased a 2006 Rubicon for my daughter. Overall I am pleased with the purchase, but as I dig into it more and more, it makes me wonder what the PO actually did ( or didn't do )

I am the third owner.
It has just over 74K miles, with a few upgrades as seen in the photos. It is the 4.0 with 6 speed manual.

When I first purchased it, I was surprised how Firm and Rough it rode. I chalked it up to myself getting older and not remembering how my CJs rode. Me being me, I started cleaning up everything and checking all driveline parts in greater detail. The first was greasing all the Zirk fittings throughout the suspension and that alone made a HUGE difference in ride quality. That made me start looking at the rest of the Jeep.

I also replaced the OPDA as a precautionary. The one pulled out didn't show signs of wear but peace of mind for my daughters vehicle is what I am striving for.

2 major issues are still left for me.

1st is the 4 wheel drive light is on. The PO stated he went through a washed out rode filled with mud and debris in 4 wheel drive and when he went to place it back in 2wd the light remained on. That was over 2 years ago. He was only using the Jeep for hunting and fishing trips and did not put a lot of miles on it. He assumed it was mud in the sensor switch. I ordered a new Transfer Case switch and am hoping it is the issue. Any Insight otherwise ??

2nd issue is there is a slight whine that is RPM driven. It is not from the motor, but noticed when the wheels are turning. ( It has the sound of a speedometer cable that is worn in an older car, or a Ground that you can hear in your radio that goes up and down with the RPM of the vehicle. )
The sound is noticeable by both myself and my daughter, and it appears it is coming from up front. I thought it was on the Pass side, and my daughter thought drivers side.
I am wondering if its the drive shaft ? Wheel Bearings ? U Joints ?? WORST fear … Transmission ???

There is also a harmonic DRONE and very slight vibration from the rear when the Jeep is on the Freeway. I am thinking it could be the U joints, tires, or drive shaft issue, but wanted to ask here if anyone had some insight. This is the least of my concern compared to the other 2 issues.

My plans are to change all the fluids. I read on this forum all the suggested brands and amounts, so My Amazon order is long and adding up. I wanted to order the U Joints also, but its confusing on the chart what I need. Plus, according to a buddy, it appears the suspension has been changed from stock which makes me more concerned on getting the correct parts.

Once I can get all of this taken care of, I plan on just watching my daughter enjoy the Jeep experience. So far, she is absolutely loving it. And that is from the days of learning to drive a manual ! Her favorite part so far is how other Jeep drivers wave as we pass each other. Its nice to see things haven't changed much since my Jeep experiences years ago.

Thanks for reading this. Any insight or input would be appreciated.

WIN_20181202_14_29_01_Pro.jpg

WIN_20181202_14_28_42_Pro.jpg

WIN_20181202_14_29_12_Pro.jpg

WIN_20181202_14_29_26_Pro_LI.jpg

WIN_20181202_14_35_49_Pro.jpg

WIN_20181202_14_36_20_Pro.jpg

WIN_20181202_14_34_40_Pro.jpg

WIN_20181202_14_34_22_Pro.jpg

WIN_20181202_14_34_08_Pro.jpg

WIN_20181202_14_32_07_Pro.jpg

WIN_20181202_14_30_17_Pro.jpg

WIN_20181202_14_30_57_Pro.jpg

Reactions: Chris
Welcome ! Nice rig
Stock spring height is 12’ for the front and 8’ in the back so anything over is your lift.
On your ujoints it can get confusing having just replaced all mine.

13255C50-AFB3-4C76-9377-E260EAC97337.jpeg

You’d have to check what shafts came on yours for 5&6 in red. ( although I think I am correct with the red marks as you don’t have an Unlimited )

My idler bearing or my tensioner just started squealing in mine. Sounded just like the u joint.

Last edited:
Reactions: EBW
I would suggest starting new topics for each of these individual issues in the TJ General Discussion forum. That will get way more attention to the individual issues at hand.

One thing I wanted to say is that ride quality is largely determined by a few factors:
  • Shocks (Which shocks are on there?)
  • Tire psi (You should be running around 26-28 psi max, anything higher and it will ride like crap.)
  • Tire load rating (You'll want a C load rated tire, as it's going to ride best. An E load rated tire is way too stiff for a vehicle as light as a TJ.)
Oh, and by the way, welcome to the forum! That Rubicon looks excellent! I really love white.

Thanks for the replies !

Yeah, 10 pm on a Sunday was the only time I had not doing Family stuff. ;):p

I will start a new thread for each as I start to dive into them.... still waiting on parts to arrive.

I will also check the PSI on the tires ( yeah they are E rated )

Good info so far here. Glad I posted. Thanks again everyone !

Replace those tires with C rated when you can, you'll be blown away how much better the ride is, not even kidding.

But in the meantime, lower the psi to 26 and you'll instantly notice how much better it rides.

Welcome to the forum.....plenty of help here.
"What the forum members don't know ain't worth knowing"
One of my daughters learnt manual in my Jeep ...the other one is about 3 years away from having a go too....ahhh the memories.

• Tire psi (You should be running around 26-28 psi max, anything higher and it will ride like crap.)
  • Tire load rating (You'll want a C load rated tire, as it's going to ride best. An E load rated tire is way too stiff for a vehicle as light as a TJ.)

UPDATE.... I've been stuck at work and was able to check the PSI last night. The tires are indeed E rated ( PO already had them on ) and the PSI was around 75 each. Side wall states 80 cold. I lowered them to 40 for now and am having my daughter keep an eye on them until I can spend some better time evaluating further. Luckily she is only driving the Jeep to school and back.

Thanks for the info from this forum. I will start a new thread about the other issues I am trying to solve in the other section.

UPDATE.... I've been stuck at work and was able to check the PSI last night. The tires are indeed E rated ( PO already had them on ) and the PSI was around 75 each. Side wall states 80 cold. I lowered them to 40 for now and am having my daughter keep an eye on them until I can spend some better time evaluating further. Luckily she is only driving the Jeep to school and back.

Thanks for the info from this forum. I will start a new thread about the other issues I am trying to solve in the other section.

WOW! 75 psi in those E rated tires is huge.

You shouldn't have them at 40 psi either, that's still WAY too much, seriously. You need to lower them to around 26 psi. I know that may seem very low, but I ran my E rated tires at 26 psi all year round, and it's perfect. It's going to ride like garbage even with 40 psi.

WOW! 75 psi in those E rated tires is huge.

You shouldn't have them at 40 psi either, that's still WAY too much, seriously. You need to lower them to around 26 psi. I know that may seem very low, but I ran my E rated tires at 26 psi all year round, and it's perfect. It's going to ride like garbage even with 40 psi.

I figured 40 was still high, but was worried about going lower until I could get a base on the 40. And since its my daughter driving it I wanted to be sure.
If it was me I would have had them at 26 and just drove it ! :D:D
When I get home I'll lower them again and re-evaluate.

I figured 40 was still high, but was worried about going lower until I could get a base on the 40. And since its my daughter driving it I wanted to be sure.
If it was me I would have had them at 26 and just drove it ! :D:D
When I get home I'll lower them again and re-evaluate.

Going from 40 to 26 is going to make you think you're driving an entirely different vehicle, trust me. I've found that to really be the ideal psi for a TJ. Those E load tires don't help one bit. When they need replacing, be sure to replace them with a C load rated tire. That will make a huge difference.

Going from 40 to 26 is going to make you think you're driving an entirely different vehicle, trust me. I've found that to really be the ideal psi for a TJ. Those E load tires don't help one bit. When they need replacing, be sure to replace them with a C load rated tire. That will make a huge difference.

I definitely will be replacing with C rated. But at this time, they are new and will have to suffice while I save the money for the other issues that are currently hampering this Jeep. I am hopeful this forum and the folks here can steer me in right direction.