Hello From CO

JFjeld

TJ Enthusiast
Hi, I'm Jason from Frederick, CO. I bought my 2001 TJ in 2007. It was pretty much stock, except for 31s and some tube fenders and nerf bars. I lived in IA at the time and got started with a local Jeep group. I very slowly made mods over the years. I finally wanted to go full bore with it, selling my motorcycle to finance the build. At that time I swapped in a high-pinion Dana 30 with 4.88 gears and OX locker, as well as a Dana 44 with OX. I went with a 4.5" suspension lift and 35s. I would've gone with one ton axles but, given my 2.5L 4-cylinder, just didn't figure it could push those larger axles. Since that time I've done a few more mods, namely converting my a/c conditioner to OBA, installing a tummy tuck and all of the goodies that go with it.

I was glad to already have a very capable rig when I moved out to CO three years ago. Now I have a ton of great trails to play on.

Reactions: Chris
Welcome to the forum! Seems like there's quite a few people here from Colorado.

Sounds like a nice setup you've got going on. I'm with you on the axles though. With the 4 cylinder you might really hurt your performance with all the extra weight.

welcome, I am also from CO, the Colorado Springs area.
Sounds like a nice rig. I've been thinking about do the AC to OBA conversion my self. Is there anywhere I can find a write up on how to do it? or could you give any advice on it. CFM?, how fast does it fill up 35's? and how to do it?
Thank you and enjoy the forum!

I've been thinking about do the AC to OBA conversion my self. Is there anywhere I can find a write up on how to do it? or could you give any advice on it. CFM?, how fast does it fill up 35's? and how to do it?
I pretty much followed this write-up on JeepForum, and went with the same oil mister, pressure switch, etc: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/b...k-tj-c-system-full-write-up-pictures-1382701/. Only real difference is I didn't make a fancy plate in the engine bay (no fab skills), and I ran my master switch into my dashboard. I opted not to run a tank since I couldn't find a good place to locate it, and I didn't want to run the extra plumbing. I typically air up my 35s from 8 to 36 psi in about 1.5 minutes each. Mine uses the stock Sanden a/c compressor.

One of the last times I was out, I ended up seizing my a/c compressor. It ran fine for 2.5 years with this setup. I always ensure the mister is dripping oil into the line, but I perhaps was running it too lean, or it failed due to something else. I plan to replace the compressor in the spring.

A couple of pics of my setup:
2012-12-11_18-41-34_500.jpg
2012-12-11_22-13-42_811.jpg
2012-12-12_00-37-19_17.jpg
2012-12-12_00-53-06_843.jpg
2012-12-12_00-54-06_81.jpg

Reactions: Julian